Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2009 08:00

st 2410 monitor stand locked

I just received the st 2410 monitor and the tilt part of the stand won't budge, it's totally stuck. What is wrong? Won't tilt forward or backward or move in any way!!! Very frustrating to encounter this right out of the box!! Please help

17 Posts

December 13th, 2009 11:00

I just received the st 2410 monitor and the tilt part of the stand won't budge, it's totally stuck. What is wrong? Won't tilt forward or backward or move in any way!!! Very frustrating to encounter this right out of the box!! Please help

before mounting the base. try to swivel the black mount attached to the monitor. it should be moved to up the 'up' position prior to mounting on the base as shown in picture 2 of the instructions. then see the video i attached that shows how the monitor swivels. it's probably a tad stiff until you actually figure out how to move it.

i know i was afraid i would break something but it will tilt once you understand where the tilt occurs in the back....

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 9th, 2009 05:00

The panel has a tilt of 4° forward and 21° backward. Is it just stuck?

1 Message

December 3rd, 2009 16:00

I had this same problem, I realized I needed to forcefully pull out the stand backwards (as seen in the instructions manual). Then you can freely tilt the monitor

8 Posts

December 4th, 2009 13:00

I'm replying to my own post since I learned how to release it in a chat session.

First of all, DON'T forcefully pull on it. There is a large button on the back of the monitor that says Dell. Just push in on the top of that  button and the stand releases. NO WHERE in the instructions does it say to do that. Very bad instructions!! It only took me 5 hours of going around in circles on the forums, answers, emails, waiting for chat sessions to open, etc. Very unimpressed with the lack of proper instruction!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 5th, 2009 23:00

Apologies, we did have this posted.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2009 09:00

That is not the st 2410 setup.

1 Message

December 6th, 2009 14:00

Right Beth. My st2410 has a round stand and is totally different.

still can't extend my stand by pushing on the top of the Dell button.

Thanks for the help.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2009 18:00

If you push in fairly hard on the upper half of the big round Dell button it will release, the upper half will go in and the lower half will come out by about by about 1/2 inch.

Here is an image of the back of my monitor:

3 Posts

December 8th, 2009 22:00

Hi,

I too have just received a new ST2410 with same problem. As far as I can see, pressing the above button still doesn't do anything. Its just a plastic cover presumably under which you can attach different stands.

Anyway, mine won't budge - this is really poor and, as with an above poster, straight out of the box.

I'm worried I'll snap the casing if I pull any harder.

Could someone (pref from Dell) please tell me what's happening (having checked the correct model).

17 Posts

December 11th, 2009 17:00

what's going on with the ST2410 stand.

Just put the stand on and it tilts forward at an awkward angle.

There is nothing to adjust. The base and the montior attachment are bolted into their position.

Can we get some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 Posts

December 11th, 2009 18:00

Holy Moly, MrLewis.  You're Batman.

Now did you also videotape this procedure!

but you did allow me to see MY backward/forward issue.

"then pulling the main post section up (so it would be tilting back) to attch the disk-shaped base. That it how it should move." 

Picture #2 on the instructions does show the monitor receptacle at an upward angle.

I just had to actually move that like in the picture and I now have back and forth movement.

Is there a horizontal adjustment to adjust height???

3 Posts

Ok - in desperation I got out the tools!!

BTW - Immmmmmm - the stand looks like it's solid I know, but does actually have a mechanism to move forwards and backwards. If you look at the woefully inadequate quick set up pamphlet that comes with it, in shows you attaching the stand with the monitor lying flat on a table, then pulling the main post section up (so it would be tilting back) to attch the disk-shaped base. That it how it should move.

So - back to fixing it. My main concern was that, in trying to force the thing to move like it should, I would cause damage to the main monitor plastic casing that it's attached to. So that I could look at it more closely and work on it, I removed the stand column section that is attached to the monitor when it arrives. I did this using a mid-sized philips head screwdriver to undo the 2 obvious screws on either side that hold it on. Lastly I popped off the little black cap you can see on the stand using a something metallic with a point, and being careful not to scratch or damage the black plastic. This is a cover for the final (3rd screw) that I I took out.

Now you can remove the stand from the monitor. To get an even better look, and access to the mechanism, I popped off the plastic section that covers a lot of the insides. Just pulling it pops it off - don't worry it clicks back on easily.

Now as far as I could see, it all looked right inside - just stuck! Perhaps it's assembled too tight, or something is locked in some way.

Now for the super high-tech technique for advanced computer experts only....just kidding. I got 2 pairs of pliers (used a bit of cloth between each one to prevent leaving marks) and gripped either section of the stand (ie either end) on the metal areas only, Then with a little bit of brute force (it wasn't that hard actually) I encouraged it to move (you can see which way it will go - its obvious when you look at the hinges inside). It's funny, it's like I just freed it. After an initial bit of pressure it moved as it should, then after 2 or 3 more goes, it seemed to be doing what it should quite easily.

I left it flexed in the position suggested so that it would be easy to attach the base (ie flexed back slightly, so its angling up towards you when to re-attach it with the monitor screen facing down on a table), and then just reassembled everything. Black cover snapped back on (make sure right way around), then screwed it back on with the 3 screws (as with any screw in a plastic assembly, do it tight - it's holding the monitor up remember - but don't over tighten and risk damage), and popped the central screw's plastic cover back on.

Then I attached the base as instructed and "voila" - you'll find it should now move enough to be useful. Remember it should be slightly stiff, as it has to hold the weight of the monitor in place.

I think they have been assembled too tight, but once moved they're ok.

*Phew* that was hard to explain something that's quite simple.

Hope that works for everyone, and you can now enjoy your monitors.

Oh and Dell people - thanks for all the help and responses to a problem that seems to be affecting a lot of us.

3 Posts

Thanks Robin!

Yes I should have videod it!

In all seriousness though - I went into lots of detail as never sure how competent people are (!) and wouldn't want to be blamed for someone breaking something.

It's really really easy to do, and is just common sense. You're just trying to get a stiff hinge to flex as it should. mine was so stiff, I needed to use pliers, hence pulling it off the monitor to do that.

I agree with you about Dell not dealing with this - very poor.

But, poor customer service and back up aside (I'll be blogging/tweeting about this) the monitor is fantastic, and you'll be stoked once it's set up.

I use mine as part of a pro editing (FCP) set up, and its just brilliant - great images, able to be reasonably calibrated, and - in my case (I bought at an online auction) an absolute bargain.

Think its better than all or most others in that range for specs etc.

Enjoy!

8 Posts

December 12th, 2009 06:00

Hi All,

Not to flog a dead horse to death (or a monitor stand to be exact). Is it really not working to release it when you push in on the top half of the button? It is kind of like a seesaw. Mine totally released when I did it. I too had competely taken it apart to try and see what was going on. I do think it is designed to release this way. It is just not written anywhere in the setup. Again, very bad manual. Here is one more image taken of the whole back of the monitor in case there is any confusion on which button I was referring to. I apologize for the crude writing but hope it helps!

17 Posts

December 12th, 2009 13:00

that 'button' is just a cover.

the rotation is here on the base.  I believe when you are pushing on the 'button' you are in fact giving enough force to tilt the monitor.

if you grab the top and bottom of the monitor and give it a nudge forward or backward you should find the monitor will tilt. and once you figure that out i have found it is now quite easy to tilt the monitor.

Click on picture to see video of monitor tilt.

No Events found!