Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2012 19:00

7184:savefs: nothing to save

Hi,

Details:-

We have two server server1v.net and server1n.net is backing up on backup server.

server1v.net

server1n.net

Server1v.net is the virtual name of server1n.net and both's IP are diffrent.

Both server is added on same backup server but one is failed and one is successfully backed up.

server1n.net --- Backing up successfully.

server1v.net --- Backup is failing with below error.

1 retry attempted

7184:savefs: nothing to save

savefs server1v.net  failed.

:  Failed with error(s)

As per some post from EMC I have checked below condition.

Restart the networker remote exece service...ok

nslookup from server and client side -----OK

Client instance deleted and again add ---but no luck to resolved

Checked servers file entry --- ok

Also check hosts file of server1v ...there is only 127.0.0.1 entry......

Anyone know why this backup is failing with error savefs: nothing to save.

2 Intern

• 

147 Posts

April 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Yes physical nodes are backing sucessfully .

Moin

544 Posts

April 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi Moin,

Would you please clear up the image for your environment more. Carlos has asked you if you have 2 physical and 2 virtual nodes or not , or how is these servers are configured ?

Also what about the checks i had provided before for communication and connectivity , how is it going ? and did you configured all possible aliases in the Alias field ( You have to configure all virtual and all physical nodes and IP addresses as well) as Carlos mentioned before.

Waiting your updates.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

2 Intern

• 

147 Posts

April 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Let me check again

Thanks,

Moin

2 Intern

• 

147 Posts

Hi,

Nope ..one virtule node are failing and one backing up successfully.

Thanks for your prompt reply

Moin

544 Posts

Hi Moin,

And both Virtual nodes fails for the same error messages or one of them backed up successfully ?

I believe it is an issue in communication or something like that, so i would recommend you to open a service request with EMC as well , and we will try to do our best here to figure out the root causes in parallel with EMC case.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

544 Posts

Hi Moin,

Good, what is the differences between the successfull virtual name and the failed one ? and why there is two virtual names not only one ? Is there specific usage for each of the two virtual names ? What is the application you are clustering ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

1.7K Posts

April 9th, 2012 05:00

Hey Mark,

This being Windows OS, as far as I understand the active node becomes the "owner" of the clustered disk so, just adding "All" as a saveset in the Physical nodes should be backing up all the cluster environment, right? So still not clear to me what is the aim of backing up the virtual node, when the clustered resources (not only the drives but the VSS related stuff) will be also backed up when backing up the physical node.

Thank you.

Carlos.

240 Posts

A clarification:

When the savesets are created, you should be doing this:

One save set for the phyiscal servers of the OS drive, the VSS folders and  the system state information

A thrid saveset needs to be created for the virtual server that backsup only the data drive informaiton.

Should be:

One save set for each one of the phyiscal servers of the OS drive, the VSS folders and  the system state information

A third saveset needs to be created for the virtual server that backsup only the data drive informaiton.

Mark

240 Posts

Hello Moin and all.

Moin, you mentioned that this is a cluster environment.  I think I understand what is going on here.

I the cluster, you have at least two physical server (Windows 2008 allows for more).  Since you have only mentioned two physical, I will work with that.

This is an example - apply it to you environment as needed:

server1v.net - Virtual server  - contains data drive and application information

server1n.net - Physical server - contains operating system information

server2n.net - Physical server - contains operating system information

The OS data for the cluster servers is on the C:\ drive of the physical servers

the application data is on the D:\ of the cluster.  If server1n.net is the host, then the D:\ drive is "attached" to that server.  If there is a fail over and server2n.net becomes the host server, then the D:\ drive is "attached" to that server.

The common mistake with configuring cluster backups is that the data drive (D:\ in this case) is configured to be backed up as part of the physical host backup.  However, if the D:\ drive is not "attached" to that server, NetWorker cannot find anything to backup and responds with "Nothing to backup"

One save set for the phyiscal servers of the OS drive, the VSS folders and  the system state information

A thrid saveset needs to be created for the virtual server that backsup only the data drive informaiton.

Test this set up and you will find the error goes away.

Mark

240 Posts

April 9th, 2012 06:00

Hello Carlos!

In theory, yes - you should be able to specify All and have it work. However, I have found the being explicit in the naming and path, and backing up the drive that moves between the hosts through the virtual server name works better.

It will only take a few minutes to set up the clients with the savesets and test it. It will take a week or so to be sure, but I am 99% this will resolve the issue.

BTW, this is not an issue with just with NetWorker - I have encountered the same issue with NetBackup, Backupexec, CommVault and others.

Mark Bellows

October 2nd, 2019 07:00

its not the good solution, if one day some one add a new File System, it will not be saved since it is not listed in saveset selections

No Events found!