Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2017 05:00

Automatic addition of tape volumes inserted into ACSLS managed Library

Hi there,

We have a Storagetek SL8500 tape library in operation, which is managed by Oracle's ACSLS software.

The library is configured in Networker and operates without any issues. However, when my colleagues insert new tapes into the library, they are not automatically added by Networker. I am forced to manually add them using the NMC, or on the command line with nsrjb.

I created a case with EMC, and they informed me that there was no feature in Networker (my version is 8.2.2.1 on RHEL 6.6) that automatically added new volumes to Networker when they were added to the library and the ACSLS.

The only solution I see is to schedule a script in crontab that runs "nsrjb -a -T N/00000-99999", where Nxxxxx is the labels we use. Understandably EMC cannot recommend or support any custom scripts, so I am coming here to the forums to ask if any of you have any automation in place to solve this?

Regards,

Caspar

263 Posts

April 10th, 2017 11:00

Background:  ACSLS (or what ever *supported* silo management software you are using) is software that is used to control the jukebox on behalf of NetWorker.  When you insert tapes into your silo, you have to perform an inventory using acsls before acsls is aware of the volumes that are present.  After that, NetWorker can request from acsls and allocate the volume(s) for it to use.

That being said...   please take a look at the following link, which might have what you are looking for.

Importing tapes.

http://www.backupcentral.com/forum/8/37552

Hope this helps...

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

April 11th, 2017 09:00

Usually a SILO can cater more than one datazone thus to avoid  tapes being inserted into the wrong partition the tapes when inserted into the CAP and inventories are not directly added into Networker's JB (To avoid data loss).

Its best to handle the tape adds manually because getting this scripted will make things very complicated, moreover there are no listeners that can be set on the OS nor on NetWorker which can be triggered when ever there is some activity on the Silo's CAP.

No Events found!