Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 20th, 2010 09:00

Automedia Management question

Hello

I have a question about automedia management. I use networker 7.5 sp3 on windows 2008 64 bit.

I have a pool created with 2 tapes, one was appendable and the other i set it to read only manually.

I set also automedia management on for the jukebox. The problem is that when the backup ran, it used

both tapes from the pool, instead of using only the one that was appendable. i think that automedia management

changed the read only mode to appendable, but i'm not sure or dont know why...

could someone explain if this is correct?

thanks!

122 Posts

September 20th, 2010 09:00

The RO-Flag is a temporar flag, which is set during mount. NetWorker can mount a volume RO (for recovery) or RW (for backup).

The flag is set during the mount and not persitant.

To avoid NetWorker writing to a volume you should set it to full.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 20th, 2010 10:00

but it isn't supposed that read-only mode on a volume prevents networker in using that volume for backup?

i did this on purpose so networker couldn't use both tapes of the pool...

122 Posts

September 20th, 2010 10:00

simply: no.

It is a common misunderstanding. This option is really dynamic option during mount.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 20th, 2010 11:00

Ok, so how do i prevent networker from using a specific tape from the pool i configured?

I read that you said to mark the tape full, how do i do this from the networker console?

Greetings

Oskar.

55 Posts

September 20th, 2010 16:00

Well, I guess we cannot do this from the console. It will have to be done using the "nsrmm" command.

nsrmm -o full Vloume_name

HTH,

Rovin.

122 Posts

September 21st, 2010 02:00

Yep, not possible from NMM.

My comment from

> 20.09.2010 10:10

was not complete.

> To avoid NetWorker writing to a volume you should set it to full.

Thank you Rovin, that is the right commmand.
Cheers, Holger

38 Posts

September 21st, 2010 07:00

A read only tape is a read only tape.  Now if there is a drive ordering issue then a read only tape will be written to since it is a software flag..   Easiest fix is use the hard write protect tab on the back of the tape.

38 Posts

September 21st, 2010 07:00

Auto media management - Enabling this attribute allows automated media management for volumes loaded into the device. This includes automatic mounting of NetWorker volumes loaded into the device, automatic labeling of 'blank' volumes loaded into the device, and automatic recycling of eligible volumes loaded into the device. Any volume without a NetWorker label is considered to be blank. For jukebox devices the value of this attribute is inherited from the Jukebox resource.

Auto Media Management is useful for the following situations: -

1. Automatic labelling of scratch or blank volumes into a poll required for a backup.

2. Labelling volumes which are recyclable from one pool into another (if recycle to/from pools is set).

Without Auto Media Management set you cannot do the above.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 21st, 2010 09:00

ok, thank you guys!

No Events found!