Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2009 16:00

Backing up to disk

Hello again,

I have a question regarding backing up to disk.

Lets say i have a 1tb Lic for disk backup

an i able to create numerious destinations (Devices) to backup to. Up to the capacity of the license?

or can i only create one destination (Device) and it will automatically capped at the license capacity?

this maybe an easy one but we don't use disk backup and i am looking at it. With the different options from EMC 1, 5, 10, 20gb i need to understand how it works to decide what license suites our needs.

thanks guy/gals.
;)

198 Posts

July 1st, 2009 21:00

Scott,

The license is a capacity license, how you present that capacity is up to you. That said, I would suggest that you use larger advanced file backup devices than smaller plain disk devices.

If you use the basic disk device, also remember to set the device size smaller than the physical device size to ensure there is free space for NetWorker to write the physical end of media should the volume become free.

If you are planning to use staging etc, then again would strongly suggest you create advance file device(s) but be aware that the extra read device should be taken in to consideration when configuring the system with regards to the levels of parallelism used.

HtH

IKP

1.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 02:00

Much of the advice to be given depends on what you wish to do, but with regards to the licensing it is based upon capacity and not how you deploy that capacity.

186 Posts

July 13th, 2009 01:00

Thanks guys, David that is what i wanted to know.
Your the man,

1.1K Posts

July 13th, 2009 02:00

That I am :)
No Events found!