Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 07:00

Backup client in another domain

Hello,

I have a problem backing up a server in a different domain.

The NetWorker server is in domain A.

The client (Windows Server 2008 R2) is in domain B.

Both are running NetWorker version 8.0.

The only connection between both servers is the backup LAN. Both servers have an interface in this LAN. The LAN is not routed.

I can ping the client from the NetWorker server and nslookup is also fine. The same on the client side.

When I do a "nsradmin -p nsrexecd -s -bck", I get a connection to the clients nsrexecd. A "nsradmin -s -bck" works also.

But backup fails with the message:

7184:savefs: nothing to save

savefs -bck: failed.

I also get two lines in the daemon.raw on the client:

79344 13.01.2014 15:23:57  2 12 13 2668 2676 0 " .domain B " nsrexecd GSS warning Group membership for "user@xyz" cannot be verified and will not be included in the user's authentication credential. Remote hosts may not see the user as belonging to any operating system group.

97259 13.01.2014 15:24:23  5 2 13 4960 2676 0 " .domain B " nsrexecd RPC critical Unable to communicate with the nsrd process running on the host ' ', using the cached security audit log resource instead. Unknown host

I must mention that the suffix "-bck" is the naming for the backup interface. For example: the name of the networker is "pluto" and the name of the backup interface "pluto-bck". I think that is the problem because the networker server name is "pluto" and not "pluto-bck". The servers-file of the client just contains "pluto-bck".

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jan

14.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Yes, it is normal operation, but DNS forwarding has to be correct.  I define all my clients as FQDN for interface intended to backup, so in your case, I would use client-bck.domainB for client resource and my server would resolve it without problem. If you have mixed/mashed domains appended by resolv.conf for these two, try to add all possibilities to alias list too.

14.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

savefs with nothing to save indicates that you have an issue with name resolution being different from both side (server and client) for same thing (either server or client).  Does your DNS know both servers on -bck or you don't use DNS for those? Make sure both client and server know exactly the same information about each interface they both have and make sure you use server-bck also in backup server interface for the client-bck resource.

161 Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

there are two DNS servers, one in domain A and one in domain B. The common DNS server is in domain A. The DNS server on domain B does forward DNS requests which cannot be resolved but only if the FQDN is given. This is the case when I try a name resolution of the networker server (eg. "pluto.domainA.com" works - nslookup "pluto" not).

On the DNS server on domain A I created an entry for the client: 10.4.x.x to client-bck.domainA.com. The client is in domain B and has no network adapter configured in that domain. But I needed to give the client a FQDN, so I choose domain A.

On domain B the resolution to the networker server is realized through DNS forwarding to the DNS server on domain A as mentioned.

That's confusing, I know .

I did put -bck in the backup server interface otherwise I would be given the messagt, that could not be resolved.

I was wondering if it is generally possible to backup clients in another domain?

161 Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

Hi there,

you are right, it works now.

I needed to put .domainB.com in the alias list in the networker ressource. Makes no sence for me because the networker server cannot reach domainB. Anyway, backup is running, thanks!

December 28th, 2014 01:00

Hi All,

I am  going to implement EMC networker 8.2 version.

I have total four sites (four different location), each sites i have one server. one out of four site is main site, where i am going to deploy the EMC networker Server , remaining three sites server will be client of the networker.

Each Server is one domain.

For example : if  Site-A is first site, then the domain is Site-A.local is first domain name.  And server  FQDN name will be server1.SiteA.local

Similarly i have four site.

There is no trust relationship between these four sites.

So please give me your valuable inputs to configure the networker clients in NMC console.  How can i continue with  Networker implementation.

What's the prerequisites from the Window Domain Side ?

Expecting your quick response.

Advanced thanks for you.  :-)

14.3K Posts

December 28th, 2014 04:00

If no DNS available, use host tables.

22 Posts

April 4th, 2018 00:00

how?

No Events found!