Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2009 10:00

Backup for SharePoint?

I'm interested to understand the usage of SharePoint with NetWorker users.  Do you have it?  Rolling it out?  What is the size of the farm (servers and data)?  How are you protecting the data or planning to protect it?  We've done a lot of work with the NetWorker Module for Microsoft Apps to enable DR and granular recovery - are you using it?

Feedback in this space will be very valuable for us!

Thanks,

-Eric

2K Posts

October 20th, 2009 19:00

Hi,

We recently did a POC for a customer and it works fine using Networker Module for Microsoft Applications. Everything is getting backed up on LAN to the tape library. We are taking the SQL DB server through the SQL module. POC was on a standalone server but we plan to deploy this for a farm with 4 servers. This should be done in middle of November.

Regards,

Anuj

177 Posts

October 21st, 2009 13:00

Thanks Anuj,

Were you using the granular capability or the VSS backup?  Both?  Any hardware-based snapshots in play there?

-Eric

45 Posts

October 28th, 2009 16:00

We are currently using a singular sharepoint server in our enviornment and the cost of module license out weighed the benefits since we have a fairly small database.

We do a sharepoint level backup inside of sharepoint. Then do a client initiated savegrp when it's done to start the backup. Thay way the NMC can monitor it and use the proper polices.

177 Posts

October 29th, 2009 08:00

Thanks - good to hear how you're doing it.  Do you get granular recovery requests?  Are you using the recycle bin?

10 Posts

November 10th, 2009 05:00

I have several customers with SharePoint farms with NMC backups running, and many many more requesting SharePoint granular backups.

Unfortunately we need to use the old SQL database module for SQL backups.

We are running into some stability issues with SharePoint backups and VSS/NMM backups in general.

Generaly speaking granular backups of MOSS is nice. Still I haven't had any recover requests, but have done 2 tests with single objects, succesfully.

My concerns are:

* Do I get a complete backup of the sharepoint farm for D/R purposes, when I am not able to run NMM on all nodes in the farm?

* What is the best practice for D/R of a farm when using mixed technologies of "old" SQL module, NetWorker clients and NMM clients.

* VSS and NMM savesets on AFTD are not removed by nsrim

177 Posts

December 17th, 2009 16:00

Out on EMC Powerlink (customer view) - a tech note on NetWorker, NMM 2.2 and SharePoint 2007 has been published:

Backup and Recovery of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server with NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications 2.2 Technical Notes 
This technical note provides details on how to deploy EMC NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications to back up and recover Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 Server.

144 Posts

April 18th, 2010 22:00

We have been using the NMM module since version 2.0. The main trigger for using the NMM instead of the good old NetWorker client with SQL and other modules is mainly for SharePoint backups.

We have several Sharepoint farms, some distributed and others not. We have been able to set it up to work for some setups, other we have not been successful for several reasons. One reason is that one farm of ours has too many sites, about 200 sites. I'm told that NMM 2.2 sp1 should handle that.

It has always been a headache configuring NMM clients no matter for what kind of backups, filesystem, SQL, exchange CCR or sharepoint MOSS/application. Too much of the configuration needs to be done on the client itself. If you are lucky enought to make the backups work, they are very unstable at best. To often we have decided to not use NMM because our customer does not like it.

I know EMC is workin hard on getting their customers to trust the NMM module these days. I'm looking forward to use the NMM 2.2 sp1.

Because of my frustration with NMM I have been lookin into what other vendors are doing such as AveDoc and more. For those vendors ,Sharepoint backups seems easy and seamless.

I want to see some nice and friendly client software that works as an interface between NetWorker and Sharepoint to do Sharepoint backups.

Johannes

No Events found!