Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2010 00:00

Backup to raw partition in stead of to partition with filesystem

Hi,

I want to measure the performance difference between:

1. backup to disk on a partition with a NTFS filesystem - block size 1024K. I get 60Gb/h. I have defined for this D:\BCK as the path to my adv_file device at creation time of the device. It works fine.

2. backup to disk on a partition without a filesystem - a raw partition. I have created the device referring to F:\. So far so good. But when I try to label the device it get:

cannot open F:\\volhdr file. The volume does not contain a recognized filesystem. Please be sure that all all the filesystem drivers loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Do i need to do something special for a RAW partition or is it simply not possible to backup to such a partition ? I thought that LEgato could backup to a raw partition.... ???

Tx,

Johan

736 Posts

September 8th, 2010 00:00

Hi Johan,

Have a look at the NetWorker 7.6 Admin Guide:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-009-443.pdf?

Starting at Page 87, 'Considerations for Backing Up Raw Partitions'.  Test this and let us know how you get on.

-Bobby

100 Posts

September 8th, 2010 03:00

Bobby,

I have read the admin guide. I still do not understand.

Iwant to backup TO a raw partition (without a filesystem). But at creation time of the ADV_FILE device, i have to specify a path with a valid directory where the backups will be stored for F:\BCK. But I cannot create of course the directory BCK on F: because F: has no filesystem.

I don't understand the sentence page 249 of the admin guide saying in point 1:  "Create one directory for each disk (or partition) to be used for AFTD... Each disk (or partition) requires a directory that is used for file type device or AFTD storage..."  How can i create a directory on the partition if there is not file system ?

I don't find the info i need to create the adv_file for a backup TO a RAW partition.

Rgds,

Johan

123 Posts

September 8th, 2010 04:00

I don't think you can create a File type or Adv_File_type device on a raw partition without any filesystem. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Arun

100 Posts

September 8th, 2010 04:00

Hi Arun,

Having read the Admin guide , I have the same impression as you. Adv_file device needs a filesystem on the disk to be able to create the device that will hold the backups.

If anyone else has a other info, please let me know ....

Rgds,

Johan

445 Posts

September 8th, 2010 06:00

Johans,

NetWorker can backup raw partitions (as a source of Data), however it cannot use raw partitions as a target.  For AFTD we need a file system present to create the directory structure required to store the backups in.  I am sorry this was not clear to you reading the documentation.  When securing data on a raw partition you must be aware because of the nature of the backup it is an all or nothing restore - i.e. you have to restore the whole partition as we have no info about files/data on this other than the block.

Regards,

Bill Mason

100 Posts

September 8th, 2010 23:00

Thanks William, it is clear now.

Rgds,

Johans

No Events found!