Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2014 18:00

Base License: Network Edition; authorized: No

I did a simple thing and for the last 10 days have not been able to complete backups.  I have EMC support and they have been working on this and as of yet have no answer.

What did I do?  I added a 10GbE Intel NIC card to the PCIe bus of a Dell 1950 that is my Networker server on Linux.  When I rebooted the 'License Conformance Summary' window in the NW management application said at the top right hand corner "Base License: Network Edition; authorized: No".  I've been unable to do anything that changes this, even take the NIC card out.  All other Client and Autochanger licenses remain authorized.  Hostname is the same.  Hostid is the same.  IP address is the same.

In addition the files that appear in /nsr/logs labeled "license-conformance_hostname_date.txt" show the "original install date: unknown" and this wasn't the case before.  The "base license: Network Edition; authorized: No" message also appears in this file.

So either by rebooting the server or by adding the NIC I did something that the server didn't like and I can't go back.  I tried to enter a new enabler code for the base license and this was not accepted.   I guess I'm at the point of doing a clean install and saving only the indices.   Any help appreciated.

65 Posts

October 21st, 2014 09:00

In answer to Mr. Mason I know the hostid didn't change because every license except base was still authorized, the Linux command 'hostid' displayed the same hostid as I had before and this corresponded to the hostid for which my license codes were generated.

HOWEVER, I am still not running :-(.  I'm getting the same result that I had when the base license was not authorized.  And that is the backup stalls at 14% and no tapes get loaded or written.  It gets to the point that all indices are checked, starting default, and the log ends with "Group Default waiting for 24 jobs".

I see no errors in the logs.  The license conformance .txt file and summary in the management GUI show full conformance.  It's like there's nothing coming in from the clients.

445 Posts

October 21st, 2014 10:00

Avhays,

Thanks, just wanted to check there were not assumptions being made. As it seems licensing is now good and your problem has moved to Storage node which will secure the data?

Do you have any tape volumes being requested?

Is there available media in the Storage node devices?

Have any sessions begun to write to the media?

Are all the sessions still in the top window of group? If so what status are they?

Regards,

Bill Mason

2.4K Posts

October 21st, 2014 11:00

At this point it is obvious that the only way to gather more details is to switch to debug mode:

- run "ps -ef | grep nsr" and retrieve the PID for nsrd

- now run "dbgcommand -p Debug=9"

- wait for about 15 mins

- next run "dbgcommand -p Debug=0"

/nsr/logs/daemon.raw should now contain a lot of more information - hopefully also messages about licensing problems.

65 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 15:00

Today I tried adding the 10GbE NIC again.  This time, however, I turned off networker first (chkconfig networker stop, chkconfig gst stop).  I added the NIC and doubled the memory.  I rebooted without networker starting and made sure that only the new 10GbE NIC was configured with the previous IP address.  Linux 'hostid' command reported the same hostid.  I was using the new 10GbE NIC and the motherboard NIC's did not have an IP address.  Then I restarted Networker.

Lo and behold Networker came up just fine.  All licenses, including the base, were still authorized.  Networker did not create a new storage node named "localhost" as it did before.

So my problems seem to have resulted from Networker starting with a system in transition between the old and new NIC.  If Networker does create a composite 'internal' hostid on Linux for licensing purposes it seems adding the new NIC and doubling memory did not change this.

14.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2014 00:00

Your hostid or entry in /etc/hosts originally did change and that caused an issue - fact that only part of licenses were affected means nothing as this has been seen before. From experience, this is usually caused by situation where order of NICs as seen by kernel is different and suddenly primary interface is no longer the old one.  Since NW depends on hex representation of what is seen as primary IP, it is wise thing to stop NW if replacing network cards.

2.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2014 01:00

BTW - this behavior was also true for the first NW/Windows server versions which appeared about 1997. Legato soon switched and started to use the Windows SID as source for NetWorker's hostid.

No Events found!