Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 09:00

Block bases backup - Legato

Hi,

I currently have Legato Networker V 7.6.3 server running on Windows; my Legato clients are Windows machines and Red Hat Linux machines.

It works fine. Every friday, I made a Full backup and the other working days an iIcremental backup. A file is taken in the INCR backup if 1 bit changed to the file. So, if 1 bit change in an Oracle file, the whole file is backed up by the INCRC backup. Therefore, I woudl like to switch to INCR backups based on the blocks that have changed in stead of the files.

Where or how do i have to start with this ? What do i need to get this operational ?

Is there a practical guide. Best practice ?

Regard,

Johan

173 Posts

September 27th, 2012 01:00

I would like to suggest to you to contact your EMC partner. They will suggest the solution. It is not so easy to turn on deduplication on databases in NetWorker. Because you have to buy deduplication storage. Other thing is I don’t know how are you doing db backup if you are using db module or exports to disk…

Regards

Lukas

736 Posts

September 27th, 2012 03:00

Hi Johan,

NetWorker is file-based and will backup the entire changed file for an incremental as you know. For block-based, you have the Snapimage module.

Details here

This does not exist for linux though, so probably won't meet your needs.  Deduplication at source is likely to be the best way forward.

-Bobby

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 29th, 2012 06:00

For Oracle backup, create online RMAN backup and place skip directive so that you do not backup database files next time you run file backup.

155 Posts

October 9th, 2012 11:00

Hi Johans,

you will have to integrate new technology for fulfilling your request, as you are looking for Backups to work on Block level, which is very much possible by Avamar(works independantly) and Data Domain(Can be integrated with NW).

No Events found!