Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2013 10:00

Can you encrypt a staging session

In order to try and eleviate our performance problem we have decided to NOT encrypt the data as it is backed up to disk.

The problem is we need to have the data encrypted when it is moved to tape

Is there any way to do that with staging or cloning?

I want to be able to browse for at least 3 weeks and retain for 14 months but only have disk space for 6 days.

Staging would be the perfect solution if I could encrypt the data because it will clean the disk when it is done.

I know I can make another group and have that save/encrypt the data that is on disk but then I lose the browse and retention policies and am stuck with the task of cleanup of the disk.

How would I leave just the latest backup or 2 on disk and clean all the rest out?

I know I can assign browse and retention policies to the tape backups but they would then have the storage node as the client so they wouldn't really be useful unless I wanted to run scanner on them all to find a particular saveset.

So can I encrypt a staging session?

If not is there another solution other than mentioned above?

Thanks

253 Posts

May 15th, 2013 11:00

Bingo: when you said All save sets (except the ones for the metada, i.e. for index and bootstrap backups) will always be assigned to the source client. Please explain how that is possible without using staging or cloning.

Essentially I will be running 2 different backups one from client to storage node and one from storage node to tape.

253 Posts

Yes I am using LTO4 but the hardware encryption was not turned on and they want extra for that so I am trying to find another solution

2.4K Posts

If you use at least LTO4 HW encryption can be done while writing to the tape media. Of course the device does not care how the data has been generated (backup or clone or staging).

You said:

"I know I can assign browse and retention policies to the tape backups but they would then have the storage node as the client so they wouldn't really be useful unless I wanted to run scanner on them all to find a particular saveset."

This is not correct. All save sets (except the ones for the metada, i.e. for index and bootstrap backups) will always be assigned to the source client.

2.4K Posts

May 15th, 2013 12:00

A backup/save set does always belong to the client where it has been generated. This will not change when it is cloned or staged later. Just verify that yourself  looking at the saveset - simply verify the client name.

As the indexes are store on the NW server, these backups belong to the NW server's client.

253 Posts

May 15th, 2013 13:00

You are right the backup will always belong to the original client however when I do a backup of the storage node, the storage node becomes the client.

If you read the reply you will see that I was refering to WITHOUT USING staging or cloning, that is the whole point. I want to be able to encrypt the data as it stages to tape but have not been able to find a way to do it without the added expense of more liscenses from IBM for jukebox level encryption.

2.4K Posts

May 15th, 2013 13:00

"... when I do a backup of the storage node, the storage node becomes the client."

Sure, it is a new backup - so what else do you expect?

It is obvious that your 'stage' process does not refer to a NW stage process.

But NW staging (nsrstage) is obviously what you need.

NW will not change the content of a save set once it has been generated. So in this case you must use the client-site encryption when you do the backup. And this is achieved by two things:

- a data zone pass phrase to the server

- an appropriate encryption directive for each client

The Admin Guide provides more details.

253 Posts

May 16th, 2013 03:00

I think I may not have explained my situation well enough

• client side encryption is causing too much performance issues to the point of user not being able to log in
  • savesets are stored on disk on the storage node
  • storage node only has 4TB space which is about a week of current backups
  • backups must be recoverable for a year or more
  • all backups must be encrypted before/while being transferred to tape

The obvious answer is to use nsrstage to transfer the savesets to tape but it cannot encrypt the data, but that was the original question: can nsrstage encrypt the data?

From what I have seen or could find out the answer is no, I was just hoping someone knew a way to do that

Thanks

14.3K Posts

May 21st, 2013 00:00

You should really use hardware encryption.  nsrstage alone, at least in available GA versions of NW, won't do encryption by itself (nsrstage is data movement from one media/pool to another and NW will only support encryption at source therefore if your backup set is not encrypted already at the time of backup, when nsrstage is run it will be moved as-is).

No Events found!