Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 11:00

Can you ndmp restore to Isilon from a previous Celerra backup?

We are currently in the process of purchasing an Isilon to replace our NS480.  Our concern is whether or not you can restore to the Isilon from an NS480 or netapp NDMP backup?  Will FS types cause a conflict with this?  If it does, how does a customer with 7 year requirement for data restoration deal with this when converting from Netapp / NS480 to Isilon?  Let me know if there is additional information needed to assist on this matter.  Thanks in advance.

736 Posts

June 27th, 2012 00:00

Morning,

I can answer the first part of your question which is that you cannot recover a netapp data backup to the Isilon.   However, I don't know what the best migration strategy is to workaround this restriction.  Maybe someone else does....

-Bobby

14.3K Posts

June 30th, 2012 09:00

You can't restore it since each filer vendor has propriety file system - thus interoperability matrix sucks. This is exactly why I do not make long-term backups over NDMP, but rather NFS (not to mention that 7 year retention is not really backup).

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 06:00

My guess was that the NDMP compatibility would be limited to the Filesystem types.  So now my question is what do people do to get around this hurdle?  Is it possible to use a celerra / vnx demo to restore files to?  I am just trying to find another alternative to keeping an old array on the floor just for restorations.

Hrvoje:  Thanks for the response and I will keep that in mind. 

14.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 16:00

That's a good one - not sure if simulator could be used for this task. You might ask that in Celerra/VNX forum as more likely you will get answer there faster.  What is the volume of those backups you retain for 7 years? If not big and if you have enough resources/power, I would restore it and do backup again over NFS. Of course, if we are talking about large volume here then that idea is not feasible.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 20th, 2014 03:00

you can migrate data from netapp and celerra to Isilon, Isilon has built a migration tool called isi_vol_copy and isi_vol_copy_vnx respectively which uses ndmp to backup/restore

No Events found!