Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2013 01:00

Changing existing NW 8.0.1 from client to storage node fails

I have an existing Windows Server 2008 R2, and I recently upgraded this client from 7.6.x to 8.0.1, as well as updating the NMM module from 2.3 to 2.4.1.92.

This update went reasonably well, and backups continued to work roughly as expected.

Now, I plan to have this and a few other servers becoming Dedicated Storage Nodes, so I reran the setup for NW 8.0.1 and selected "Change". I select "Storage Node", run through the wizard which then ends with "Installation was not successful. You can retry at a later time." or words to that effect. Not that many clues on what went wrong.

Incidently, I ran through the same process on another server with success, eventhough I had to reinstall the NMM 2.4.1 module before VSS backups would work. These are Exchange servers, if relevant.

The only difference between these servers is that on the server where it worked, two regular Qlogic HBAs are used for SAN connectivity, whereas the troublesome server I have Emulex OneConnect (The HP Blade OEM stuff). Worth mentioning because I saw something about  hba register error 0x5. I can't remember the exact wording, it was on a pop-up dialog box and I've not been able to reproduce it.

I've searched what I think are the MSI log files, and some extracts:

get_install_info: productname='NetWorker'

get_install_info: productversion='8.0.1'

get_nmc_product_code: entry

get_nmc_product_code: component_code='{A33F8DC5-361C-11D6-B364-00B0D0A2099F}'

get_nmc_product_code: Error calling MsiGetProductCode, status=1607

langpacks_to_install: Error calling MsiGetFeatureState for de_Feature, status=1606

I haven't select any language packs for installation.

The final error in the Windows Event log is:

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: NetWorker. Product Version: 8.0.1. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: EMC Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

Any ideas?

2.4K Posts

June 26th, 2013 02:00

"NMC" is the short form fore "NetWorker Management Console" - it actually refers to Admin GUI. Was this installed on one of the machines?

I am pretty sure that on a client with NMM installed, you must first remobe NMM before you can even update the client SW. Also, i do not recommend to do both at the same time (client SW update and functionat change). Update first, then upgrade the client to become a SN. Then re-install NMM.

May i suggest to remove all NW software (not the directories) and reinstall it from scratch using the above sequence.

79 Posts

I'm fairly sure NMC has never been installed on this server, but I wasn't on site during the initial install.

Since it works on one server but not the other, I'm hesitant to completely reinstall the client before getting confirmation this is required.

When doing the upgrade from 7.6/NMM 2.3 I indeed completely removed the NetWorker software and installed 8.01 and NMM 2.4 fresh. This required a reboot, thus I had to plan this change weeks and months in advance. Now we're in a change freeze, and if I can't even add Storage node functionality without a reboot I'll be a bit disappointed.

2.4K Posts

The installationof the SN SW would not need that - the NMM SW installls drivers which need a reboot to activate.

No Events found!