Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2008 15:00

Contact client takes long time in the backup

I have a backup task that runs for days trying to contact the client. Does anyone know what is wrong with it??? The backup tasks are in the "Wait to Run" area (for 2 more days). No task is moved to either the "Current Running" or "Failed", or "Completed" area.
I'm using the networker 7.3.2 and NMD 1.1.

2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 09:00

Do you face problems with other clients also?

Restart client services and check.

2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 00:00

Is this the first time you are backing up? I would suggest first test network using ping etc. Update /etc/hosts, update aliases on the client resource. Thentest manual backup form the client, use save -s. If this works, test scheduled backup form server. Till this time backup only file system.

If & when all goes well, test NMD backups.

26 Posts

February 6th, 2008 07:00

The backup worked fine before, just in recent several days it has the problem in contacting the client. I used the ping test and it pings successfully to the client. Should I restart the client machine?

455 Posts

February 6th, 2008 09:00

You dont need to restart the machine. Just restart the service. Also check connectivity with nslookup.

26 Posts

February 7th, 2008 07:00

I have restarted the backup services on the client, and the server. But I was not able to login to the management console after restarting the service on the server. So, I restarted the server host. Also, I realized that there was not enough space to do the backup, so I free up some more disk space from the old data that no longer needed(by changing the mode of the volume from full-appendable to full-recycle). Then I restart the backup task. By looking at the Monitor/Device log, I can see it shows some progress in writing the data to the backup tape. Thanks for your helps!!!!

April 24th, 2011 01:00

It seems to me a problem with external filesystem which is supposed to be mounted but couldn't be mounted on the networker client to be backup.

try df -h to get the list of filesystem. If the command hangs and couldn't show the list then it is causing the issue.

Networker will show as the group is running but couldn't move to the running window since it is trying to state the filesystem but could state it.

Try restarting nfs server from where the filesystem is hosted and then remount the filesystem on networker client then start the backup. hopefully it will resolve the issue.

No Events found!