Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

March 12th, 2021 05:00

Creating separate backup policy for different databases on same SQL server

I've just set up Networker for the first time and am trying out the SQL policies to try to get it working how we want it.

What I'd like to have it the following:

Key databases with full backup level - Full back up once per day + 15 min log backups

Simple/system databases - Full backup once per day only

I've set up a schedule which works for the full + 15 minute which was to Configure a full backup every day then a "Force backup level" as "Logs Only".  This is doing exactly what I want for the FULL recovery model databases.

I've also selected the option "Skip simple databases during incremental backup".

What i'm seeing though is that the simple databases are still performing a full backup every 15 minutes where I would expect them to be skipped.

I did try changing Logs only for incremental but seemed to get errors straight away when I tried this.

Suggestions on what I need to do to ensure I only get 1 backup per day on the databases that i don't want 15 minute log backups on?

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

March 14th, 2021 21:00

@Steve_zvc,

per design even with the NSR_SKIP_SIMPLE_DB set to true the system db's will perform a full every time it  is triggered.

As a workaround you could create 2 separate client instances and workflow for the Full backup that just run everyday and another one for running the log only backups. Note that the level incremental is not support for SQL backups. Keeping different configuration would be a good practice so that anyone taking over the environment can easily how configuration are set up in case a good documentation is missing(which is usually the case.)

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 9.52.06 AM.png

No Events found!