Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 5th, 2012 01:00

Curphyhost and a secondary backup network

Hi everybody,

suppose you have to configure a storage node, made by two nodes in cluster, on a secondary backup network.

The server is named server_bck on the secondary network, the 2 storage node cluster members nodeA_bck and nodeB_bck.

I have to configure a shared library, therefore I'll add nodeA_bck:\\.\Tape0 and nodeB_bck:\\.\Tape0.

On this cluster, I have to backup several cluster services, named serv1_bck and so on.

As per my knowledge, to route the backup to the correct node, I have to specify "curphyhost" on the storage node field on serv1_bck client's definition.

But curphyhost is not nodeA_bck or nodeB_bck, but nodeA or nodeB, therefore I suspect networker will not be able to find the right storage node and will say "check for correct storage node" ...

Any suggestion to correct this behaviour? Is enough to say that nodeA is an alias of nodeA_bck on nodeA_bck client definition?

Thanks for any suggestion, in advance

PierPa

1.7K Posts

February 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi Pier,

By definition "curphyhost" stands for current physical host, meaning that NetWorker will find out which of the nodes is currently the "active" one, and that will be the one sending data to the devices, if these are correctly configured. However this only applies to virtual clients.

Let's say you have a cluster as follows:

Physical node 1=phn1

Physical node 2=phn2

Virtual client=vtclnt

In this case, you should be configuring a client resource for the virtual client called vtclnt, and add curphyhost in the storage node definition:

Note: curphyhost is only applicable to virtual clients and should never be inserted into the clone storage nodes list even for the NetWorker Server’s NSR resource.

In NetWorker Administrator's guide for NW 7.6.2, page 497 and 498 you'll find a good explanation about the usage of curphyhost.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

February 5th, 2012 06:00

Carlos,

I agree with you, but what about my question? What can I do if I have a secondary backup network ? It is a little bit different from the normal configuration-

Thanks for any suggestion

PierPa

1.7K Posts

February 5th, 2012 21:00

Hi Pier,

I would say you have different options., however the first approach would be to set both names into the alias field:

nodeA

nodeA.domain.com

nodeA_bck

Same with node B.

You can also use routing to send the data over the right interface, so let's say you gather the data from clients through management interface (nodeA) and then send the data to the Storage Nodes through the bck Interface (nodeA_bck)

There are other options, such as using hosts file to set the name resolution.

I think the best approach is always to create client entries with the bck interface, is that is the interface dedicated to backup, however you will probably need to add all aliases into the alias field, and then play around with hosts file and/or DNS.

Is this a correct answer for you or you are more concern about the cluster stuff?

No Events found!