Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 19:00

Data Domain Cleaning

Hi Networkers

From DD admin guide, Data Domain recommends running the cleaning operation once a week. Which is already happening by default.

Any harm if run everyday to reclaim space faster? I can say our backup env is medium sized and not busy all the time. Besides resource contention anything else to be aware of doing it daily?

Thank you

17 Posts

May 29th, 2013 22:00

It is not recommended to run cleaning everyday. You can refer to the following KB article

https://my.datadomain.com/download/kb/appliance/scheduling_cleaning-ddr.html?fsearch=1&query=filesys+clean+schedule&page…

1.2K Posts

May 30th, 2013 00:00

If system is filling up, changing default values to more frequent or aggressive cleaning cycles should not be used to compensate this. Running cleaning every day will fragment the data. E.g. read speeds can be severely impaired. Global compression algorithm is dependent on good locality during writes so too frequent clean cycle will in addition bring de-duplication numbers down.

14.3K Posts

May 30th, 2013 12:00

Tim Quan wrote:

If system is filling up, changing default values to more frequent or aggressive cleaning cycles should not be used to compensate this. Running cleaning every day will fragment the data. E.g. read speeds can be severely impaired. Global compression algorithm is dependent on good locality during writes so too frequent clean cycle will in addition bring de-duplication numbers down.

I second that.  I see no point of running it on daily basis.  Depending on DDOS, you will see considerable difference in performance impact of cleaning between DDOS 5.1.x, 5.2.x and 5.3.x.

326 Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

Thanks Guys!

45 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 08:00

It is not advisable to running cleaning everyday, however, per your needs scheduling it twice a week should be fine, I manage over 68 Data domain around Globe for my clients, depending on the cleanable on each DDR I have their cleaning schedule set. Some once a week is fine, and some high change rates DDRs I run them twice a week with no performance issues.

The Fact, what you see under cleanable on "filesys sh space" is not going to be recovered completely on one cleaning cycle, and considering the size you have under cleanable you can spread your schedule to run two times in a week. I recommend keeping the throttle to 50% though, this will help to run other activities decently. Some other points you can consider while setting up cleaning schedule is if you have a replication pair DDRs, I would have cleaning run on Source first and then on Destination, for eg. Source DDR cleaning schedule is set to run on Monday 6AM, the destination DDR is set to run at tuesday 6AM. This helps to keep both your DDR space synced, when the backups are deleted from the Source, it is reflected to the Destination, so running the clean next day takes care of the recently deleted Data right away.

You can even keep a track of the time it took for each cleaning cycles.

Thanks,

Jignesh Nair

No Events found!