Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2012 00:00

DataDomain Device dimounted randomly

Hi,

We have experienced a fialure with our DataDomain 670. This night some device in Networker were dismounted, without any apparent cause.

We remount these devices without problem and the backup run good. But why were these device dismounted?

We are using Networker 7.6.4.1 and DD has OS 5.0.2.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Greg

April 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Finally, it's seem that Auto Media Managment has to be used too with DataDomain Device. It works perfectly and The EMC support told me they are gone to update the documentation.

Greg

79 Posts

September 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Please provide the daemon logs from NetWorker server. Also try to restart the NetWorker Services and rename tmp folder.

Regards

Panwar

September 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

We already have restarted Networker server after to renaming tmp and jobdb folder.

Here you will find the daemon.raw for the restart.

You can see at 9/13/2012 3:35:03 PM the first error of this kind.

We have active the RMAN Backup of our SAP system yesterday. Before that, we never see these errors.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Greg

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

September 14th, 2012 06:00

You should also examine the operating system log(s) on your NetWorker storage node, as well as the logs inside the DDR ('log view ... ').

tl

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 05:00

Do you have AMM enabled for that device?

October 1st, 2012 02:00

Hi Hrvoje,

As we use a DataDomain, I'm not sure to understand well your question. Were can I see that?

Thanks a lot.

Greg

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

October 1st, 2012 07:00

In properties for device - in NetWorker (eg. using NMC), check if auto media management for that specific device is enabled.  In the past, with NFS or CIFS based devices, something like that used to happen and then enabling AMM did the trick.

October 17th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

finaly we found a solution. Update DD OS in version 5.1 solve this problem.

Thanks to all for helping.

Regards,

Greg

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

October 17th, 2012 02:00

Which DD 5.1 did you go to?  I have two DD890 landing at the DC and O also decided to go with DD 5.1 (since 5.2 still didn't get GA status though I have been told it is stable).

October 17th, 2012 04:00

And we have two DD670 in our DC.

EMC guys told us not to update to 5.2 yet as this version seems to be a bit too new .

Greg

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

October 17th, 2012 05:00

Well, it's been out since May... and I believe with certain models there are benefits or maybe even requirements (eg DD990). We plan to switch them on on Friday and then I will see what did I get.

February 1st, 2013 02:00

Hi everybody,

unfortunatly, we installed a brand new DD870 (OS5.2.1.0)and the problem of randomly dismounted device is coming back!!! Is anyone have an idea of solving this one. Can we use Auto Media Managment for Data Domain Device (ddboost).

Thanks for helping us!

40 Posts

February 1st, 2013 06:00

With data domain turning on auto media management "should" check to see if the device is online at certain intervals and bring it online if it's offline.  At one time 7.6.3.3 (I think) had issues with data domain devices going offline, that should be fixed in the version you're running.

When I ran into issues with my devices going offline it was caused by intermittent network issues where the networker server / storage node would loose connection to the data domain.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

February 1st, 2013 08:00

I doubt issue you see is related to DD.  What I have seen is that device may go offline during nsrmmd core dump for example so I would check if those exist on storage nodes.  Documentation is clear in stating that AMM should not be used with DD devices, but I'm not sure what is the motive behind this statement. I for example never had this issues and have been using DD dev for months now (some 130 devices within single datazone) using 7.6.4.2 and most recently 7.6.5.0.

February 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

Can you explain to me a bit more what the nsrmmd core dump is? For AMM, I also read that is not applicable to DataDomain (Networker Data Domain dedupication Device integration guide, p55).

We had this issue one time as DataDomain was running OS 5.0.1 and doing some RMAN backup...

Did you think it could have a link with version of Networker (7.6.4.1 ) versus DD OS version 5.2.1, as the ddboost plugin will not be the same version on DD and Networker Server or Storage Node?

I'm still stay waiting for an answer from EMC support...

Thanks

Greg

No Events found!