Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2012 20:00

Disaster Recovery saveset huge > 3TB!

Hi,

I am facing a problem whereby the disaster recovery saveset is huge for one of the critical volumes for example OSSR_G. I killed at 3TB. Is there a way not to have disaster recovery backup should a huge saveset? For me, the DR saveset contains critical information to rebuild the OS and not contain any normal data. The server I am backing up is a Windows 2008 R2 file server. The networker server I have is 7.6.2. There are DFSR, quota management and WSB on the file server. Could that be the cause?

Thanks and Regards

Legard

544 Posts

April 16th, 2012 21:00

Hi Legard,

There is a DFSR consideration in which the Replication folder will be saved with the DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ save set only if the folder resides on a critical volume. If the replication folder resides on a non-critical volume that is included in a  backup, it can be recovered online after a Windows Disaster Recovery.

So now we would like to know why the G:\ is a marked as a critical volume. The following volumes are considered critical and are included in the disaster recovery backup:

1- Any volume that contains operating system files or files needed by an installed service, including volumes mounted as NTFS directories that contain such files. An example of an installed service would be the Exchange 2010 application binaries or SQL 2008 binaries

2- A non-critical volume that has a critical volume mounted on it, or a non-critical volume that serves as a parent to a critical volume.

3- All volumes on all dynamic disks if at least one of those volumes is critical. For example, supposed you have 4 hardware disks in a RAID 5 configuration, and you partition the 4 volume RAID set into 3 partitions as seen by the operating system. If you then installed a service like the NetWorker client's nsrexecd program on one of those partitions, then that partition would become critical, as would the whole 4 volume set.

So which reason of those has forced the NetWorker to identify the G:\ drive as a critical volume ? Is there any installed services on that drive ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

14 Posts

April 17th, 2014 04:00

So what is the work around?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 17th, 2014 09:00

If your volume is not critical, you can exclude it.  However, if critical, check if this is what you believe it is and if not then please investigate why does it report being critical.

No Events found!