Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 05:00

Disaster recovery and unavailable tapes

Hi,

In a few weeks we will be performing an offsite disaster recovery test.  We will only have cloned copies of our monthly backups, the originals are stored on VTL's so they aren't available.

When we have done these tests in the past we have run into issues where networker wants to use the original tape, and since it is not available we either have to mark the original saveset as suspect or delete the volume from the media database.  Is there an easier way to accomplish this?  It would be great if during out bootstrap recovery we could tell it to ignore all the volumes except the 50 or so tapes I actually have available.  We have ~6400 volumes listed so deleting all but those 50 would take quite a bit of time.

Thanks!

2.4K Posts

April 24th, 2014 05:00

Change the 'location' for the volumes to any other value and NW will not be able to find it.

This avoids deleting the volumes which you might need to scan later or another restore job.

14.3K Posts

April 24th, 2014 06:00

I'm not aware of any other mechanism than marking ssid as suspect.

14.3K Posts

April 25th, 2014 08:00

Hi bingo,

I don't use tapes.

I know with DD devices you can unmount them and NW will automatically use cloned copy.  In tape world, at least with NW6 and early 7, NW would keep asking for tape even if location was set outside (eg. location indicating where tape was in safe room). If this has been changed where other online (near) location would be used, that's good to know and welcome change.

2.4K Posts

April 25th, 2014 08:00

Hi Hrojve,

test it yourself. Renaming the 'location' will block the access.

There must be a reason why NW will update the value by itself with the first move (usually a deposit).

47 Posts

April 29th, 2014 06:00

Of course you are right.

Looking through my files i verified that we used to alter the location to prevent general access to the tapes and to prevent accidental relabeling. Nothing else.

Sorry for the confusion.

No Events found!