Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2009 07:00

EMC GST Service starting and stopping after reboot

I am loading a new Networker 7.5 SP1 server, console, and client on Windows 2008 x64. All setup and installation has gone OK. No configuration done in the console yet. No clients other than the server

itself. No backups done yet. No devices. I only opened it, ran through the first-time wizard and looked around.

When I reboot the server the EMC GST Service(gstd.exe) starts and then stops. It doesn't throw any errors in the Windows event log. Just an informational message that says it stopped. I set the service to recover and it doesn't. That must mean the system does not see it as a failure but rather a normal shutdown of the service.

When I look in the Services.mmc, the EMC GST Service is stopped. The EMC GST Web Service is running. I can start the GST Service manually and it will be fine until the next reboot. I can stop/start both services without issue. However, the GST Web Service starts automatically when I start the GST Service.

I checked all of the logs:

dbstop_output
db_output
gstd.raw
install.log
web_output

They all look normal except for one entry in the gstd.raw:

"0 1241788672 2 0 0 2424 2420 0 vault gstd 202 %s: Web server exited unexpectedly. Possible reasons include: previous instance of %s is still running. Please see 'web_output' file in this product's logs directory for the web server's output messages 2 0 4 http 0 5 httpd 31582 1241788677 2 0 0 2424 2420 0 vault gstd 23 *** gstd stopping at %s 1 36 25 Fri May 08 09:17:57 2009"

The web_output looks clean. The db_output shows the database stopping when the GST service stops. Plus, it is a reboot so how could an instance already be running. Unless it is conflicting with Dell's OpenManage?

So it looks like something is stopping the GST service rather than it failing. I just can't find what it is.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 8th, 2009 07:00

Try to play with delayed start option in services.

40 Posts

May 8th, 2009 13:00

Good call!

A recap...

On a hunch and the knowledge that the Dell Openmanage is a repackaged Apache, I suspected that it may be the one interfering with the NetWorker Apache server. I disabled the Dell services and rebooted. That allowed the GST Service to start and stay running. I could then enable and start the Dell service without a problem. As soon as I rebooted with the Dell services set to automatic, the problem resurfaced.

There must be a problem with the GST trying to start the Apache httpd before the Dell Apache is fully initialized and has chosen its configuration and ports. The GST Apache sees the Dell one and bows out.

Setting the GST to Automatic (Delayed Start) gives the Dell one enough time to initialize. That's my theory anyway.

40 Posts

May 8th, 2009 13:00

The down side is that it can be up to five minutes before the GST service starts and you can use the console after a reboot.

40 Posts

June 10th, 2009 09:00

Follow-up to the follow-up...

I had to install a networker rollup to troubleshoot another issue. That set the service back to automatic. I had to change it back to delayed start after installing the patch.
No Events found!