Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2014 00:00

EMC Networker VADP Active Directory Backup

Greetings!

We have EMC NW 8.0.2 and use VADP to backup our VMWare Server Clients. This backs up the VM servers successfully but I wanted to ask a question? We back up 2 x virtual Domain Controllers using this method (we do not have the NMM Module installed) - can we restore Active Directory (authoritative and non-authoritative) using VADP?

thanks Steve

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 9th, 2014 02:00

Are you doing an image level backup with VADP_DISABLE_FLR set to yes? If yes, then you would not be able to recover the AD component using this backup. Active directory is a part of the VSS SYSTEM BOOT component and incase you have a file level have a file level backup in place then you should be able to do this.

38 Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

thanks for the reply crazyrov. We do image level backups on the virtual DCs. If we set VDAP_DISABLE_FLR to "no" will this allow us to restore AD?

thanks

Steve

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

Are you able to do file level restore from these backups ??

--- Original Message ---

38 Posts

January 10th, 2014 00:00

HI Crazyrov

juts checking that at the moment thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 03:00

In this case you will not be able to do a restore the AD without restoring the entire VM.

38 Posts

January 13th, 2014 03:00

Hi Crazyrov currently we do not appear to be able to do file level restores, just image recovery.

38 Posts

January 14th, 2014 01:00

Hi

If we restore the whole VM (which I have done with a member server - non-DC before) how does this work with a Domain Controller? The usual method to recover a DC is in Directory Services Recovery Mode (DSRM) which allows a Non-authoritative restore of AD. An image level recovery does not do this so would AD be recovered using the VADP Process?

thanks

Steve

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 14th, 2014 02:00

I am not quite sure how you would take a image of a DC and integrate it to your AD . My suggestion is to install NetWorker client on these 2 DC and back them up as regular machines rather than using VADP since it is not working out here.

38 Posts

January 16th, 2014 03:00

Hey Crazyrov, I think you are correct. I'm not going to use VADP for the Virtual DC's and will deploy the client to them instead.

thanks

Steve

No Events found!