Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2013 07:00

EMC Networker

Hello

I am troubleshooting a tape drive error on my HP Proliant server

We use CA Arcserve   that is it  

But

We use the HP Library and Tape Tools  Diagnostic  tool to troubleshoot/diagnose tape drive problems.

It demads any backup software services  be stopped in order to run  its various tests  so we do that

but on this particular server today....the utitly still reports that EMC NetWorker is running   NSRMMD.EXE and NSREXECD.EXE

anyone have any ideas how this could be when we do not use your product ?? 

thanks

ddecoursey@eriecountygov.org

2.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 08:00

If you exclusively go with Arcserve why do you still have NetWorker installed?

Of course you could also simply stop the 2 NetWorker services on your computer:

NetWorker Remote Exec Service

NetWorker Power Monitor

July 2nd, 2013 09:00

Dear Ringo,

I don’t have Networker installed…never did ……these services are not listed if they were I would stop them …….. this is such a curiosity I figured I would post this observation up here on EMC …..but no matter,

I am having the tape drive unit replaced so issue closed

35 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 10:00

nsrmmd.exe is our device management daemon; nsrexecd is our universal listener / portmapper.

These two processes would suggest a NetWorker storage node, but if you don't see them running in tasklist, then it's probably a question for HP as to why they're being detected (i.e. specifically - how do they detect the presence of these daemons?). If you find out the answer, I'd be happy to hear it if you find yourself back here.

Good luck!

July 2nd, 2013 11:00

I found those 2 files in c:\addons\iff with some WinRAR and WINZIP setup stuff

Why the HP utility was finding those and reporting them a processes/service that were running is beyond me taskmgr could not find them running

I am planning on uninstalling WinRar…we no longer use it

Thanks for the extra help

35 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 12:00

No worries! Odd that they'd check files instead of runinng processes. Thanks for the tip! It should be useful to us in case we ever see it here. Good luck, again!

2.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 15:00

I have no idea where the binaries came from - i assume that somebody must have installed a NW storage node SW. Only you would know that.

Anyway - let me suggest that you also look into the registry and delete all obviously orhaned 'NetWorker' entries.

July 3rd, 2013 04:00

Issue is closed…..Networker never was used or introduced here ever….

Thanks

No Events found!