Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2015 12:00

EMC Neworker 8.2.1 & Exchange 2010 backup

Hello All -

Would anybody be able to help step me through configuring/fixing my backup? I have EMC Networker 8.2.1 and likewise for the NMM client.

I've inherited a broken backup of Excange 2010 - it doesn't work.  I've read through the EMC .pdf documents on "Exchange VSS" and "EMC networker 8.2.1." I'm new to the product which doesn't help. I've dug through discussions and googled suggestions, etc...

My Exchange environment is Exchange 2010, configured with a DAG : So 2 servers have a database, one active DB & one passive DB.

I am initially just setting up a backup on the one server that holds the active copy of the database.

The "NMM Config Checker" report on my exchange server looks clean.

On the EMC server, I've walked thru both the "Configuration -> Clients ->" GUI client wizard and by hand using 'properties' to edit....using the PDF files as a guideline.

One problem I see is that if I right click the client and pick "Check Snapshot Configuration" the response is "Required Attribute Missing".

I guess that's one of many issues.

Well, any help, or places to start - - or logs I can share....I'm open to it.

-thanks

Bob

2.4K Posts

October 6th, 2015 13:00

It would help if you post your settings for the client, especially in the Apps & Modules tab.

9 Posts

October 7th, 2015 08:00

Okay will post below.  For now I'd just like to succeed in whatever is the simplest backup, just to see something working.

Apps & Modules tab:

Backup command :  nsrsnap_vss_save

Application Information:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY=Promote

NSR_ALT_PATH=e:\temp

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=active

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=sgdag.mycompany.com

NSR_EXCH_CHECK=no

If I go to "Monitoring" and pick the exchange server and view the failed messages from last night I have a lot of feedback but most of it I do not understand.

APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010: Backup of [APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010] failed

formation parameter: CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY, may not be supported

102357:nsrsnap_vss_save:Unknown Application Information parameter: device interface, may not be supported

102357:nsrsnap_vss_save:Unknown Application Information parameter: NSR_SAVE_FROM_SAVEGRP_NSRSNAP, may not be supported

102345:nsrsnap_vss_save:Data mover host name not specified. Assuming local host: sgmbx01.inspro.com

100049:nsrsnap_vss_save: Unable to determine jobd version, assuming version 7.3: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

65208:nsrsnap_vss_save:d:\views\nw\8.2.1\nsr\vssclient\snapvsssave\nsrsnap_vss_save.h(225): Error initializing the job.

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

NetWorker Server sgntwrk01.mycompany.com is unavailable or does not support Jobs Daemon.

102338:nsrsnap_vss_save:Backup is level FULL. Set GLR compatibility to YES.

80271:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM .. Valid snapshot policy. Group: "Exchange" Snapshot Policy: "RolloverOnly" Snapshots Per Day: "1"  Retain: "0" Backup Snapshots: "All" Level: "full".

NMM ... Using client name SGMBX01, the version of the Exchange server is Exchange 2010.

96585:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM .. Initialization success -- Exchange shell successfully initialized. Required for Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013.

47363:nsrsnap_vss_save: nsrpsd service is running on SGMBX01.mycompany.com.

82624:nsrsnap_vss_save:Save set name APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010 is valid.

37959:nsrsnap_vss_save:The parameter is incorrect.

63335:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM backup failed to complete successfully.

102333 1444168944 3 0 0 376 5556 0 sgmbx01.mycompany.com nsrsnap_vss_save NSR error 21 Exiting with failure. 0

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

October 8th, 2015 05:00

zabagar,

For starters the NetWorker server sgntwrk01.mycompany.com does not seem to be responding to the backups requests. Can you try doing a filesystem backup for the system sgmbx01.inspro.com?

9 Posts

October 8th, 2015 08:00

Thanks for the reply.  I just tried a simple file backup which worked.  Our EMC networker probably backs-up a few dozen machines at least...some just file server, some SQL....various roles.  I removed this server "sgmbx01" from the "clients" list in networker, then re-added it so I could start fresh.  I set it up to just back up a few loose files, no problem.  I just matched the settings on this server with an existing file server that I know already gets backed up successfully. So the test backup worked. Did a test restore too.

No Events found!