Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Error - Unknown VMware Protection Policy

https://community.emc.com/thread/208326

For the sake of my sanity, please fix this stupid problem! Apparently you can't have a policy with no actions defined or else all the console will do is throw an "Unknown VMware Protection Policy" error. Why would I have a policy with no actions defined? I wanted to rename the actions - which it wouldn't let me do. I can't delete the actions while they are assigned to a policy so I have to remove the actions from the policy. Now, none of my policies will show.

Yes there is a "work around" but it's a real pain.

1 Message

February 26th, 2016 06:00

What is the work around? I need to cleanup unknown protection policy

12 Posts

April 25th, 2016 07:00

Judy, I didn't see your reply until just now. You've probably figure out how to deal with this but in case you haven't, the easiest way I've found to deal with this is to delete the policy from the nsr command line.

1. On the backup server, start a command line session
  2. nsradmin -d "C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\NSR\Res\nsrdb" (the path to the program's database installation)
  3. print type:NSR data protection policy;name: (the name of the policy - to confirm the name syntax is correct)
  4. delete type:NSR data protection policy;name: (the name of the policy)
  5. y (to confirm)

Prior to learning this command I was tracking down the resource id in the directory (huge pain the but to find) and manually deleting it.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2016 02:00

0. Backup bootstrap (just in case)

1. Stop Networker services

2. Open CMD line as Administrator

3. Launch nsradmin this way :

c:\Program Files\EMC Networker\nsr\bin>nsradmin -d "D:\Program Files\EMC Networker\nsr\res\nsrdb"

(replace with your own path to nsradmin and  nsrdb)

4. In nsradmin console type :

print type:NSR data protection policy;name:" "

5. delete  (confirm with yes)

6. Quit nsradmin

7. Launch networker services

No Events found!