Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 7th, 2010 12:00

Error in backing up SQL 2008 Cluster

Hi All,

I'm having some difficulties in setting up the NMSQL 5.2.1 in a SQL 2008 active/active cluster running on Windows 2008 R2. I have several differrent instances running in the cluster where none are the default instance.

Just to give a brief description this is how the setup is:

2 x physical server

server 1

server 2

4 x instances

inst1\inst1

inst2\inst2

inst3\inst3

inst4\inst4

I'm no MSSQL wiz but I guess that a cluster configuration in SQL 2008 is still server\instance, but the difference is that each instance is like a virtual machine. So basically inst1(server)\inst1(instance)

The problem is when I try to connect with the SQL module I can only choose instances where it is the physical server\ instances name. In my example

server1\inst1

server1\inst2

When I try to connect through the SQL module to one of the connections I get tons of errors saying that I'm trying to connect to the wrong instance and no connection can be established.

"These are the error messages I'm getting

38006:nwmssql:SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified[xFFFFFFFFFF]

38006:nwmssql:A Network-related or instance-specific error has occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. "

The servers are setup for remote connections. The problem that I see here is that Networker cannot see my instances running on the server. It's like I'm not getting the correct information into the NMSQL GUI regarding instances.

Has anyone seen this before??

153 Posts

June 8th, 2010 02:00

I have basically configured this:

The physical clients are set with saveset All.

the virtual client(Virtual instance) is set with save MSSQL:

backup command: nsrsqlsv.exe -a virtual name.

I have also tried to specify the specific instance after MSSQL but with no luck. My problem is not with the instances but with the virtual server name vs. the physical server name

244 Posts

How is your configuration looks like? All instances are configured as separate NetWorker Clients and in the save set attribute the particular instance is configured for backup from that virtual client?

153 Posts

Jep, everything is setup as you describe in Networker.

best regards

Thomas

153 Posts

June 8th, 2010 03:00

I would believe so

on the virtual client I have configured the remote access with

*@physicalnode1

*@physicalnode2

The reason I'm using * is for testing at the moment. When I get it to work I will sort out the specific user. My remote user does have the required permission to backup the databases.

244 Posts

June 8th, 2010 03:00

Do you have all those "remote access list" etc. configuration parameters set correctly?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 14th, 2010 03:00

If you bring NMSQL GUI from client, does that work?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 14th, 2010 05:00

I don't have in current env SQL like you to play with it, but top of my head I would suspect first some sort of permissions to be the issue.  When I say that, in first place I suspect user (SYSTEM user for scheduled backups) does not have permission to connect (and browse) instances.  Not sure which user you used from client side (was it SQL admin?), but same might apply.  I didn't check docs recently, but in the past I believe some permissons were required and those were documented as well.  Could you verify that please?

153 Posts

June 14th, 2010 05:00

Yes, it connects but shows me the "wrong" instances. It shows my the physical server name / instance instead of instance / instance. When I try to connect if fails with the above mentioned error messages

14 Posts

September 14th, 2012 05:00

Hello,

it's an old topic, but I have the same problem.

MSSQL 2008R2 on Windows 2008 R2 active/active cluster with different instances.

The NW server scheduled backups of the instances are running well. One client resource for every instance.

Saveset MSSQL: and Backup command nsrsqlsv -a .

Remote access *@ and *@.

But when I start the NetWorker User for SQL Server and choose the SQL instance I want to work with I'm getting the error messages:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

The user I'm connected with the server has sysadmin rights on the databases.

153 Posts

September 15th, 2012 00:00

Unfortunately i don't remember the solution and I should have updated this string with the solution. I guess you are trying to run the NMSQL client from the client in the above screenshots. Have you tried to switch of UAC in Windows or try to run the NMSQL as Administrator?

14 Posts

September 17th, 2012 02:00

Yes, I've tried to run the NMSQL as Administrator.

We cannot switch of the UAC because we cannot reboot the server at this moment.

The strange thing is that the instance name in the "Select SQL Instance" window seems to be wrong.

It shows me \ but ist should be \ .

1.7K Posts

September 18th, 2012 04:00

Hello Daniel,

Have you tried adding *`@* to all the nodes? This test will determine wether this is permissions related or not.

Also, have you created a client entry per SQL instance?

I would suggest to create one client per SQL instance as follows:

Client for inst1

Client for inst2

Client for inst3

Client for inst4

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

September 18th, 2012 06:00

What user are you loged in as? Did you use a SQL admin to login on to the SQL server and then mopen NMSQL?

What do you have in the list of NW admins in NMC?

Thank you.

Carlos.

14 Posts

I've tried with SQL service user (domain user), lokal admin and own domain user. All users have sysadmin rights.

I've added the physical hosts to the administrators list in NMC... doesn't work.

14 Posts

Hello Carlos,

do you mean adding this to the Remote Access field?

I've added this to all nodes (physical and virtual) but it did not help.

Yes, I've created one client per SQL instance.

No Events found!