Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2011 05:00

Error reading volume label: read open error: there was not a device file name passed in to CDI (dr\

Hi guys,

We installed a new backup library 1 week ago, when I try to label a media I get this error:

cancellation: none;
             completion code: ;
               error message: \
"Error reading volume label: read open error: there was not a device file name passed in to CDI (dr\
ive status is DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET)",
"Error reading volume label: read open error: there was not a device file name passed in to CDI (dr\
ive status is DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET)";
                 last update: "Mon Jun 20 14:47:20 2011";
                        name:
HP@7.0.1;
          operation instance: 6;
            operation source: GUI jb op;
                    progress: "Operation `Verify label' in progress on device `\\\\.\\Tape2'";
             prompt response: ;
                      prompt: ;
                  start time: "Mon Jun 20 13:40:40 2011";

Please help me

we have Networker 7.6.1 runs on windows2008

Library HP MSL 8096

2.4K Posts

June 20th, 2011 10:00

As any other backup software, NW has to read first to check whether an valid label exists.

Most likely your operation access another device than what has been loaded. You can easily verify that a drive is working if you load all drives with a tape - if any drive works, then it is o.k. But the SCSI cabling is obviously wrong.

If this is the case, in your fresh configuration, a new configuration is most likely the easiest thing to do. Then verify it by loading a tape in each drive (one by one) and try to label the media.

132 Posts

June 20th, 2011 21:00

Hi Bingo,

But it worked for 5 times and I labeled tapes and I made backup until this 5 tapes got full.

Thanks

2.4K Posts

June 21st, 2011 09:00

What can i say - i can not access your system. I can just use my experience. Most likely the tape sequence changed. Simply verify it.

BTW - there is an EMC paper that explains why this can occur and how to prevent it - just search Powerlink for it. But of course this is for future use. The problem exists right now.

128 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 14:00

Hi,

What kind of connection it has? If FC, you must set persistent binding to prevent drive ordering issues. Also, use inquire and sjisn commands to check if configuration is right.

Regards

Claudio

132 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 00:00

Hi Claudio,

Yes, it is FC. How can I do fix the drive ordering issue, in details please.

Many thanks

128 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 05:00

Hi Jihad,

First, use HBA application to set persistent binding on scsi devices (tape drives and mchanger). Also, you must set in the Windows registry as well. To do this, edit the following registry key on the NW server (if the library is connected to it):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\xxxxxx (where xxxxxx is the name of the manufacturer device -i.e., for IBM, is ibmtpxxx)

Persistence=1 symbolic tape names are persistent across reboots

Persistence=0 symbolic tape names are non-persistent across reboots

"Persistence" is of type REG_DWORD and has the Data value 0x00000001.

You'll need to reboot to enable changes.

After that, reconfigure library with the new scsi values.

Regards

Claudio

No Events found!