Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2012 17:00

Exchange 2010 - Another instance is already running.

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to backup a Exchange 2010 server, but the job fails with this error in the NMM.RAW log:

"There is another instance of NMM save program is already running."

I can't see any other jobs in the system for this server running.  Anyone have any idea why this might be happening?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1.7K Posts

March 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi Alan,

Besides the previous recommendation I would suggest you to check the following:

1.- Is there nsrsnap_vss_save.exe currently running on the client you have NMM installed on? If so manually terminate the process tree

2.- I would suggest you to stop NetWorker services including Replication Manager service/s, rename or delete /nsr/tmp folder and start NetWorker services and RM services again, to get ride of any pending session or operation.

3.- Also ensure that, if you are backing up Exchange 2010, check the status of the DB's, as maybe a previous backup attempt left the DB in status "Backup Running", so NMM understand that there is a concurrent backup operation taking place and will fail with that message:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124924.aspx

Thank you.

Carlos.

12 Posts

March 11th, 2012 18:00

Dear Alan,

may be you can refer to http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg126922 for detail on diagnosis the issue.

544 Posts

March 11th, 2012 19:00

Hi AlanJH,

Additionally, Make sure that the nmm saving process has been killed from the Exchange 2010 server ( From the Task Manager of that server). As you cannot run two nmm processes at the same time , Make sure the old NMM process has been killed or kill it manually and then try the backup again.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

16 Posts

March 12th, 2012 22:00

Thanks Carlos,

I stopped the services and renamed the TMP file and the Exchange server was able to complete the backup job.

Many thanks to all who replied!

Regards,

AH

1.7K Posts

March 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi Alan,

Just to clarify, and to let you know that there is a reason behind removing /nsr/tmp, it's not only as in Windows OS issues when restarting fix 99,9% of the problems

Basically NetWorker will use that folder to keep local tracking of the backup process, and specially in NMM, Replication Manager and PowerSnap embedded modules place in that folder the temporary files and locks for the backup.

Cleaning out that folder will erase any information related with the last or current backup session.

Thank you.

Carlos.

75 Posts

December 4th, 2012 04:00

For others reading this, I saw it on NW 7.6.4 caused by the group not being snapshot enabled after nsrsnap_vss_save was entered as save command for the client. Creating new groups that were snapshot enabled and moving the filesystems backups of the exchange servers into these new groups solved the issue.

25 Posts

July 9th, 2015 10:00

Hi! Carlos I have the Same issue with Exchange and I do it that you refer but I still getting the same error.

I kill the process nsrsnap_vss_save, clean the tmp dir on Exchange Server and NW Server, but the problem persist.

any Suggestions?

1.7K Posts

July 9th, 2015 10:00

Hi Oscar,

What NMM version are you running?

If 2.x then most likely there is overlapping of File System and Exchange backup.

Also is not good to kill nsrsnap_vss_save as that could leave the writer being used in bad status.

You have to have in mind that in DAG environments there are "slave jobs" running in other nodes, so check that there is nothing running in any of the nodes.

Thank you,

Carlos

1.7K Posts

July 9th, 2015 12:00

I suppose you are aware that 7.6.x is no longer supported, right?

Once again, if it's a DAG environment check there is nothing running in any other node, otherwise the error message is a red hearing and there is something else going on.

Thank you,

Carlos

25 Posts

Sorry Carlos, I make a mistake NMM is 2.4.1 Build 92

NW version is 7.6.5.7 build 1231

1.7K Posts

Oscar,

There is not such NMM version, either you are looking at Replication Manager version or you are talking about NMR, in which case the error message you referred to doesn't exist

Thank you,

Carlos

25 Posts

Carlos

I'll check the information and inform you the status.

Thanks

25 Posts

NMM version is 5.2.2.23

NW   version is 7.6.4.3 build 1070

25 Posts

July 10th, 2015 05:00

Carlos, I checked what you said and I have not found incidents.

You said that I sent from the module SQL databases smaller and if it has been backing up, even when shipping from NMC backup is done, now those not sent from the SQL module for issue size, when shipping from NMC gives an error that no DB exist.

I have validated the names of every one that fails. The Backups Was running well until on saturday, that Client machine Reboot accidentally

25 Posts

July 10th, 2015 06:00

I solved the problem easily, the client was sending backup by selecting the save set each of the databases and I suggested why select one by one and not simply select everything, that is, MSSQL:

with that I resolved not to leave me DB does not exist.

No Events found!