Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2014 06:00

Failing Exchange 2007 Backup with NMM

Hello!

I have been trying for about 2 weeks to get backups for our Exchange 2007 SP3 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 DataCenter SP1 to work. I am running Networker Version 8.1.1.8.Build.349, NMM version 3.0.1.2, and NetWorker Management Console 7.6.5 Build 1160.

I have set the following configuration settings for the client:

Save set: APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007

Backup command: nsrsnap_vss_save

Application Information:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY=Skip

NSR_ALT_PATH=D:

NSR_EXCH_CHECK=yes

NSR_ESE_UTIL_SEQUENTIAL=False

NSR_ESE_UTIL_THROTTLE=False

NSR_CHECK_JET_ERRORS=all

The client/server is in its own group and is the only member. In the group configuration I set the same information:

Save set: APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007

Backup command: nsrsnap_vss_save

Application Information:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY=Skip

NSR_ALT_PATH=D:

NSR_EXCH_CHECK=yes

NSR_ESE_UTIL_SEQUENTIAL=False

NSR_ESE_UTIL_THROTTLE=False

NSR_CHECK_JET_ERRORS=all

Currently the backup of my Exchange server is failing with error:

savegrp: suppressed 3 lines of verbose output

77175:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM ..  completed commit replica with status of false.

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601

Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: EXCH07

Automatic mounting of new volumes enabled.

37959:nsrsnap_vss_save:An internal error occurred.

63335:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM backup failed to complete successfully.

Internal error.

102333 1410869749 3 0 0 5072 2124 0 exch07.ahc.net nsrsnap_vss_save NSR error 21 Exiting with failure. 0

e application host [Exch07] and the Mount Host [exch07.ahc.net] on NetWorker Server [archive.ahc.net].

Can anyone provide and insight into what I have configured wrong? I have been working with EMC support during this time but they have been unable to resolve the problem. I am still working with them but it is not getting resolved in time.

Thank you!

1.7K Posts

September 16th, 2014 08:00

Hi Keith,

Please add the short name and FQDN of the oa**** client into the Exchange client configuration and try the backup again.

Looks like either you have hosts file or DNS configured to point to the same IP for the names Excg***, oa*** and active***** names, is that correct?

The Alias field should look like:

exch07

exch07.****.****

active**

active**.****.***

oa**

oa**.****.***

Please use that specific order in the aliases.

Thank you,

Carlos

1.7K Posts

September 16th, 2014 06:00

Hello keithb1984

Can you change the NSR_ALT_PATH=D:\mnt for example? Just try to avoid a root FS folder for that value.

Is this stand-alone Exchange server? If not please let us know what kind of setup are you running.

If it still fails after this change please provide:

nmm.raw file from Exchange server (/nsr/applogs/nmm.raw)

and

Screenshot of all tabs from the configurations of client and group.

Thank you,

Carlos

6 Posts

September 16th, 2014 07:00

Hi Carlos Rojas,

Thank you for your help with this! I took your advice and changed the path to NSR_ALT_PATH=D:\mnt  which seemed to get me further int he backup process but again it failed and the current failure message is:

savegrp: suppressed 3 lines of verbose output

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601

Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: EXCH07

Internal error.

102333 1410876405 3 0 0 4296 6816 0 exch07.ahc.net nsrsnap_vss_save NSR error 21 Exiting with failure. 0

the application host [Exch07] and the Mount Host [exch07.ahc.net] on NetWorker Server [archive.ahc.net].

*I also meant to say that this is a Standalone Installation.

I attached the nmm.raw file from the Exchange server.

Client Config Screen Shots:

ExchangeClientConfig1.JPG.jpgExchangeClientConfig2.JPG.jpgExchangeClientConfig3.JPG.jpgExchangeClientConfig4.JPG.jpgExchangeClientConfig5.JPG.jpgExchangeClientConfig6.JPG.jpg

1 Attachment

48 Posts

Can you check the status of Exchange writer and check the availability of Data port & control port.  Sometimes, Both ports might be occupied by other application.

1.7K Posts

Hi,

Please remove the directive set for the client (NT with compression), as directives are not supported.

On the other hand I would strongly recommend you to upgrade NMC to the same version as NW server, as you are missing some functionalities and configurations only available from NW 8.1.x

Anyway I see a configuration issue. There is a host name in the logs (client starting with oa***). What is the relationship of that client with the actual Exchange client? I suspect a wrong alias configuration.

What Exchange topology do you have in place, stand-alone, LCR, SCC, CCR?

If clustered environment, you need to create a client entry for all the physical nodes, but based on the logs I suspect this is stand-alone Exchange server, right?

Ohhh, I just saw that NW server is 7.6, not only NMC,  but NW server itself:

NetWorker Server Version: NetWorker 7.6.5.0.Build.1160 Network Edition/20

This is supported, but I would encourage you to upgrade NW server to 8..1.x

On the other hand, finally this is a configuration issue, that client I just mention is not configured properly:

exch**** nsrsnap_vss_save NSR critical NMM .. The rollover failed with error 'Backup failed while creating coversave. client `oa******' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server. Please make sure you have configured at least one NetWorker Device and client resources are configured for the application host [Exch**] and the Mount Host [exch***] on NetWorker Server [ar******]'.  Refer to the PowerSnap logs for more information.

Thank you,

Carlos

6 Posts

Group Config Screen Shots as Requested:

ExchangeGroupConfig1.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig2.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig3.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig4.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig5.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig6.JPG.jpgExchangeGroupConfig7.JPG.jpg

6 Posts

I will certainly look into the version upgrade you suggested and try to get that  deployed ASAP.

I have also removed the ‘NT with compression’ directive.

The oa*** is the Exchange Offline Address Book record. I don’t think I understand what configuration needs to be in place for that... I didn’t setup this Exchange server so I apologize that my knowledge of it is a bit weak.

You are correct that this is a stand-alone server.

Thanks again for all of your help!

6 Posts

Hi Carlos Rojas,

We do have DNS records configured on our Domain Controller that point to the same IP for the oa***, Exch*** and active***.

Each backup attempt take about 30 minutes before it fails so I will update this once I have made the alias field changes and attempted the backup again. I started another backup attempt after removing the compress directive so I want to wait this one out then I will make the changes and try again.

again... thank you thank you thank you thank you

1.7K Posts

September 16th, 2014 10:00

Hey Keith,

Happy to hear it worked for you.

Please mark the question as answered if you feel like it

By the way, for you and any other ECN community member interested, I'm running an "Ask the Expert" event about NMM configuration, best practices and troubleshooting, and will run until the 21st of September (one in English and another one in Spanish), so if you are interested please use the links below to join:

English event:

https://community.emc.com/events/2832

Spanish event:

https://community.emc.com/message/820696

Thank you,

Carlos

6 Posts

September 16th, 2014 10:00

Carlos Rojas,

Let me just tell you that you are the man! My backup just completed and it truncated my Exchange logs!

For anyone who may stumble across this forum the configuration changes I made during the process where to remove the Backup Directive for 'NT with compression directives, changed the "NSR_ALT_PATH=" from just the root of D:\ to a subfolder (D:\mnt), and maybe most importantly was adding the Aliases for all of the DNS records for the exchang server IP which include activesync and oab DNS records.

Thanks again!

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hi Carlos / Keith,

Environment: Exchange 2007 / Windows 2008 Enterprise (two physical nodes clustered MSCS)/ NW server 8.1.1.8 / NW client 8.1.1.8 and NMM 3.1 SP1 build 298

I just ran into a situation where I have two clustered physical nodes XXX-mbx01.xxx.com and XXX-mbx02.xxx.com - they are in I believe a SCC configuration

Cluster name is XXX-clst01.xxx.com

In the 'Failover Cluster Management' -> under services and applications we have 'xxx-mail'

Note: Services are active on node XXX-mbx01.xxx.com

I have configured a Virtual Resource trying to backup just one storage group to test before I get everything backing up, but I am getting the following error which is similar to this post

4034:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM .. Error during import of snapshot: PS .. Error completing snapshot import

63372:nsrsnap_vss_save:NMM .. Registration of snapshot set failed -- PS .. Error completing snapshot import

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6002

Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: xxx-MBX01

Internal error.

102333 1414086699 3 0 0 1268 4064 0 yyc-mbx01.yyc.com nsrsnap_vss_save NSR error 21 Exiting with failure. 0

No Events found!