Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2014 09:00

How do I license NetWorker?

I´m quoting a DataDomain System with 21TB, I want to combine the DD with NetWorker, what licenses should I consider? Can you share a link with information about it?

Thanks!

Juan Marmolejo 

Solutions Architect

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 5th, 2014 13:00

Most likely you would use capacity license unless you go for legacy licenses (but I think nowadays capacity licenses are being used only).

21 Posts

September 16th, 2014 07:00

Take a look at the EMC Software Price Guide for Backup and Recovery. If you go to the partner site, and search for 'Software Price Guide', you'll find it.

Thats the best way to figure out which part numbers you need.

Dave

1 Message

September 18th, 2014 03:00

There are two models for licensing networker:

1) Traditional license

2) Capacity license

The choice of the model depends on three factors:

1) amount of backup data.

2) number of backup clients

2) type of applications deployed in the environment.

So if you have an environment with high amount of data that needs to be backed up with around one or two applications, traditional license will be the best choice, while if you have many applications with a little amount of backup data then capacity license is the best choice.

The number of clients that you are backing data from also plays a role in deciding which licensing model to go with, capacity license is more cost effective with higher number of clients while traditional license will be cost effective with lower number of clients.

As for Networker and DD integration, if you go with the capacity license no need to add any other license as "networker data domain device type" license is already included for the amount of capacity that you are quoting. If you consider the traditional license other licenses need to be added depending on how you will use data domain (VTL , NAS , DD boost) and the usable capacity of the data domain box.

For more detailed information on the subject refer to "EMC software price guide: Data Availability & Protection Software"

https://www.emc.com/auth/rcoll/salesprocessmaterial/emc_softwarepriceguide_backuprecovery.pdf

Ahmed Zaghlol

15 Posts

September 18th, 2014 05:00

Ahmed,

Great subject... if I may interject a bit.. I might add a bit more... for instance:

How static vs dynamic is your environment?

Meaning, if you have a static never or barely changing environment than consider the static license.

If you environment is grown leaps and bounds or you need many to add many modules, that is where the flexibility of the Capacity License is a wonderful solution. Allowing you to add or delete any and all options at our disposal and only paying a difference during the annual audit.

I hope this helpful

No Events found!