Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2012 09:00

How do i configure scheduled cloning for the below requirement?

We need  to configure 4 scheduled cloning jobs to run after the weekly FULL backups which complete on Fridays.

• OFFSITE CLONE MONTHLY – with  5 years retention policy to run every 1st  Saturday of the month .
  • ONSITE CLONE MONTHLY – with 1 year retention policy to run every 1st Sunday of the month .
  • OFFSITE CLONE WEEKLY – with 1 year retention policy to run every Saturday ,excluding 1st Saturday of the month.
  • ONSITE CLONE WEEKLY – with 6 months retention policy to run every Sunday ,excluding 1st Sunday of the month.

The above scenario cannot be configured using the scheduled cloning option available in networker since the scheduling options available is on weekly basis ( any day of a week i.e. MON,TUE,WED and so on ) or monthly basis ( any day of a month i.e. 1,2, 3,4 and so on ). So if I configure OFFSITE CLONE MONTHLY to run on a Saturday , it will run on every Saturday which is not our requirement. Likewise if I configure ONSITE CLONE MONTHLY to run on a Sunday , it will run on every Sunday which is again not our requirement. The same cannot be achieved even by using the monthly schedule as dates varies every month ( i.e.2nd is Saturday in month of June but not in July) . There is no way to skip or over ride any days as well.

I would need your suggestions on how else we can achive this?

Thanks in advance!!

736 Posts

June 25th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I don't see any way of scheduling this in the way you want from within NetWorker.  You could use automatic cloning to do the cloning after your backups, but I guess this is not what you want.  The best way I can think of is to define the scheduled cloning configurations you want and disable the schedule in NetWorker.  Then, you can use an external scheduler (such as cron) to schedule the running of the nsrtask command which will launch the scheduled clone operation whenever you want with just nsrtask [name of scheduled clone]. 

-Bobby

11 Posts

June 27th, 2012 04:00

Hello Praj_Rao

You coud configer the backup server as an client in a group with no save index and no save properties(group properties).

Then configure ths backup command like save_clone.bat. (the backup command must begin with either nsr or save.

Write every nsrclone.exe with the right selection (group client pool and so on in the nsrclone parameter) in the bat file

ANDN OW use the normal scheduler with override rules to start the right client instance (für every retention time use a seperate client instance with his own schedule and override and nsrclone retention time and so on)

This shoud work.....

Have fun. Olaf

14.3K Posts

June 30th, 2012 09:00

Actually there are some tricks with override in calendar view which could work, but I never tried that for cloning only for regular schedules.  One question though, is there really some difference in data which matter on 1st Saturday and Sunday?  Since cloning on 1st Saturday you keep for 5 years and then day after for 1 year.  If there is not difference, just do one cloning which is for 5 years and that one covers the one which you would do for 1 year. Then again, if you plan to keep it separately at least join those 1 year retentions... at least they run each weekend so why run it on Saturday and once on Sunday?  Not sure what your requirements are nor why, but I would chanllenge policy like this as I do not see this good setup (especially if you use tape).

No Events found!