Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2012 15:00

How many clients should I backup per Storage Node?

Hello,

is there some best practice or recomendation about how many clients should I backup trough an Storage Node?  I have been searching in powerlink and admin manuals but there are no recomendations about it.

Is there some way to calculate that?...

My environment is based in AIX and contains about 150 clients at one data zone.

Thanks in advance...

Marco Gordillo

May 22nd, 2012 03:00

Hi Marco,

There is no specific recomendation about the number of clients which can be backed up with a Storage node.

You can backup all the 150 clients with one storage node or multiple storage nodes. You can set this up as per your requirement with in your Data Center.

You can also refer the following table which will help you to understand the Capabilities of Different Networker editions:

Parameters A- Workgroup Edition: C- Network Edition: D- Power Edition:

Max Clients

10-unlimited

10-unlimited

Jukebox Support

up to 32 slots

unlimited

unlimited

Storage Node

NO

YES

YES

Add on Modules

Limited

YES

YES

MAX Parallelism

12 32 64

MAX devices

16-512

32-512

Immediate save recover

NO NO YES

High speed devices

NO NO YES

Thank you

ShivaKiran

736 Posts

Hi Marco,

This depends on a number of factors.  The best source of information is the NetWorker Performance Optimization Guide which details the different components of each machine and what is required for each.  I haven't seen any rule-of-thumb for a ratio of clients-to-storage-nodes, but there may be one out there.

-Bobby

This is the how long is a piece of string question!  You need to look at things like backup window, volumes of data, what your network/storage node will support and so on to decide whether or not you may need additional storage nodes.  There is no limit or rule of thumb but it is quite feasible to have hundreds of clients backing up through a single storage node.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 17:00

Thanks everyone for your comments... I will review the mentioned guide in order to understand if my environment needs one or two storage nodes.

Marco

No Events found!