Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2011 02:00

How much time do you spend..

Administering NetWorker.

All,

I'm trying to figure out how much time a person would spend in average when having to administer a networker server and a number of clients every month.

I know this is very hard to say as it depends on a lot of things, but if you have some sort of a general idea please let me know. All examples and experiences are very welcome.

I myself worked on administering a huge setup 6 months ago with around 3500 clients(servers, mainly MS) and 12 backup servers. We were two people and very busy. But that's pretty much my experience.

I was thinking about 3 scenarios:

A:

1 server (windows)

100 windows clients

20 windows servers, mssql, msexch, iis.

B:

1 server (windows)

25 windows clients

10 windows servers (mixed like the one above)

C:

1 server (UNIX)

100 windows clients

25 UNIX servers (mail, file, database etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

/tony

75 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 03:00

Any other experiences?

/tony

75 Posts

Thanks David, that's exactly the type of information I need.

Sorry for my bad english, what I meant was that I was administering a running setup, not installing it. It's called an installation in Danish, and so is the work you do when setting it up

/tony

I've not worked with installations of the sizes you give but some examples I have worked with in recent years (I've estimated full time equivalent dedicated to backups afterwards):

8 servers, 2000 clients (8 people - also do storage) 5 FTE

6 servers, 3000 clients (7 people - manager split with storage) 6.5 FTE

1 server, 300 clients (4 people - also do UNIX sys admin) 2 FTE

4 servers, 3000 clients (10 people - also do storage) 6 FTE

Staff would be involved with BAU work, troubleshooting, upgrading, reporting and design of future architecture but usually restores would be handled by a seperate department.

I can imagine you were snowed under trying to administer so much with just two people!

March 3rd, 2011 05:00

Hi Tony

I was talking about running setups; most large installations are in a constant state of being amended as new clients are added or decommissioned, software is upgraded and new technology introduced, so day-to-day operations at least partially involves some installation (in the sense of adding new parts to the environment).

Most of my other experiences were working for resellers so its harder for me to remember size of customer installations and number of people exactly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 08:00

From working closely with customers over the years almost everyone I have worked with has one or more full time dedicated employees to NW.

Normally from what they tell me the job is not gauged by the number of clients but by how many NW servers they have, libraries, etc.

Most don't pay attention to # of clients.

March 4th, 2011 01:00

I'd agree that the number of clients is not necessarily a guide for how many backup admins are needed - some of the factors you need to consider are:

• management attitude to remaining up-to-date / improving systems (more work installing, learning new stuff)
  • management attitude to maintaining legacy stable system, avoiding upgrading (long term this leads to issues and doesn't embrace newer, more efficient ways of working)
  • quality of person responsible for backup strategy / expertise
  • tape offsiting policy / library capacity compared to number of tapes used nightly
  • distance between admins and sites
  • reliability of hardware (usually down to age as well as being overused)
  • reliability of network (more problems to troubleshoot, more liasing with teams who are always quick to state "its not my network that's the fault"!)
  • pedantic change management and policies which demand excessive documentation that no one reads
No Events found!