Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2010 01:00

How to best configure backups to use different tapes

I'm using NW 7.6 on Win2003 server with a HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader attached (7 LTO2 tapes & 1 cleaning tape) in a remote office.  I'm only backing up 1 client in 3 different groups (Networker backup, file system backup, sql backup) with 4 week browse\retention policy, full backup on Friday, incremental the rest of the week.  The amount of data is small and 4 weeks worth of data is only using 2 of the tapes which isn't a good idea.  None of the tapes are to be taken off site.

What is the best approach to force backups onto different tapes?  Should I be using different pools for different days?

123 Posts

September 3rd, 2010 04:00

Hi Ann,

I would suggest you to have a seperate pool for FULL backups and another for incrementals. Or else seperate pools for Database backups and filesystem backups. You can implement which ever you feel better for your environment.

Regards,

Arun

11 Posts

September 6th, 2010 01:00

If I used separate pools for full and inc, is there anyway to mark the tape used for the full backup as full to force it to use a different tape the next time the full backup takes place?  I know I could do this manually but is there any simple way to do this automatically in Networker?

123 Posts

September 6th, 2010 02:00

Hi Gail,

If I understood correctly you were trying to say, you have 2 tapes labeled to the pool FULL. First week level Full backup should write to the first tape and the second week level Full back should write to the second tape. Is that correct? Normally Networker select the tapes in random to write. (If both of them are appendable.)

Regards,

Arun

11 Posts

September 6th, 2010 02:00

The problem I have is that 4 weeks worth of full backups will fit easily onto 1 tape.  I want the full backups to use a different tape each time they run incase there is a problem with the tape.

11 Posts

September 6th, 2010 03:00

Unfortunately there is only 1 tape drive so cloning is not an option.

123 Posts

September 6th, 2010 03:00

In that case I would suggest you to have a clone volume so that you will have 2 copies at any point of time.

Regards,

Arun

September 6th, 2010 05:00

The straightforward answer here is to use selection criteria on pools so that the backups go to different tapes.  Its clearly documented in the manual - I don't have access to the 7.6 manual but in the 7.5 manual it is on page 184.

I would also suggest you look at taking your tapes offsite, if that is not possible at least removing them from autochanger and storing them in a different location in your building.  If your server room was destroyed how would you get your data back?

11 Posts

September 8th, 2010 10:00

Ann ..

To force NetWorker to use a new scratch volume from your Full pool, you might have to either script or manually mark the previous/recent Full pool volume as READONLY ... then the subsequent full level zero backup will be forced to use a new volume in the pool or append to an existing one.

No Events found!