Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2012 04:00

How to configure a shared library ?

Hi,

Next week, i have to setup a new Legato environment with 1 Legato Networker server V 7.6.3 (on Win2K8 - R2), 2 Storage Nodes (Win2K8-R2), 1 MSA SAN storage, 1 HP Jukebox MSL8096 all connected via a FC switch.

My question: What are the steps to take (and how) to get to this configuration as a shared library. I have to backup the data stored on the SAN to the tapes only passing via the FC and not passing via the Legato server. So, how to setup the Storage nodes and what to do on the Legato server to get to this ? Each storage node should see 2 tapedrives.

I have already read installation guides, admin guides, an article Share library on EMC Networker, but it is not clear untill now what steps to take to get that result ? Just that i better use NMC in stead of jbconfig.

Does anyone has a plan with the steps to take or a similar example (not using NDMP) ?

Cheers,

Johan

445 Posts

March 8th, 2012 01:00

Johans,

The basic steps you need are: -

1. Present the Robotic arm and 2 drives to one storage node. Only present the robotic arm to one storage node as this will be responsible for the tape movement from slot to drove and visa versa.

2. Present 2 drives to the other storage nodes.

3. Run inquire command on the storage nodes and you should see the presented devices in the output. This is good indication OS can see the drives and they are usable. Make sure names etc are reported also in the information part.

4. From GUI create storage nodes and then scan for devices. If you presentations are correct you should see the drives and library appear.

5. From GUI highlight library and configure.

Most issues with devices are down to OS, drivers and firmware. A very useful document which highlights all relevant setting and gives advice on driver versions etc is the Configuring Tape Devices for EMC NetWorker Tech Note.pdf which can be found on Powerlink under NetWorker Technical notes in documentation section (at the bottom of the list). For Windows it is vital you configure Persistent binding and disable TUR etc (all explained in the docs) before you attempt to configure in NW. If you do not do this reboots can move the device names around SCSI resets could also be seen. All of this will cause you big problems in your environment later if not done initially.

Remember if the OS cannot see it NetWorker will not be able to function.

Regards,

Bill Mason

544 Posts

March 7th, 2012 18:00

Hi Johans,

I have an old White paper by EMC which shows the steps on how to configure Share Tape Library using NetWorker, I am still using it and it works fine with me.

It is attached in this post, Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

1 Attachment

100 Posts

March 7th, 2012 23:00

Thanks Ahmad. I know that article but i don't find it very clear. I'll have to play with the new environment once the hardware is installed.

Cheers,

Johan

No Events found!