Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2015 05:00

How to properly create multiple clients with different save sets and media pools?

Hello everyone,

Please bare with me as I'm still very new to this application and finding it very hard to get the simplest tasks performed (huge learning curve to this application).

Networker Version: 8.1 Build. 162

Presently, I have clients configured with appropriate groups and schedules that use a specific mdeia pool. I would like to setup a duplicate client (same client but different save sets to backup) and send that data to a different media pool so I can send those tapes for offisite storage.

When I tried to configure a new/duplicate client(right-click client and selected "New Client Wizard"  , but using the same name, I lost my index for the original client I had configured and had to restore them after I deleted the duplicate client.

Example:

A) Client1.domain.com | Save Set: *FULL* | Group: Head Office | Schedule: Defaut

B) Client1.doamin.com | Save Set: D:\ | Group: Offsite | Schedule: Offsite

When I configure the above, I lost all my indexes for client "A" when I tried runing a group configure with client "B".

What is the proper way to configure a duplicate client but with different save sets and configured to use diffrent media pools without losing your indexes? The only way I can see a way to configure a specific media pool is through the client configuration and I'm not sure if I'm going about this the proper way.

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2.4K Posts

April 7th, 2015 06:00

Well - experience takes some time. Even after years, we are still leaning.

Keep in mind that it is also somehow important to let us know the version. It does not make sense to advise you if you can not do this due to an older NW version. I assume that you are running something like NW 7.4 ... 7.6.

In addition to that you mix up terminology. May I recommend you avoid that - it will prevent confusion.

There are 2 obvious issues:

1. Cloning a client configuration (aka 'resource') but changing some attributes/parameters.

This is easy - simply select the 'source' client in the list, open the context menu (right click menu) and choose 'copy'.

Now change the following attributes in your case (for B):

- 'name' must be the same

- save set: D:\

- backup command:

- Group: Offsite

- Schedule: Offsite

Confirm your settings.

2. Selecting the right pool:

This is done at the new pool configuration.

You must set up a filter like:

Group: Offsite

Assuming that you have other backups from other clients using this pool, this would be the easiest way.

Do not forget to label a media for that pool and to select the right device(s).

May I recommend that you do not select any right now to minimize confusion.

BTW - a false configuration should not delete your index (file and media index Information. I am not clear what you mean by that).

Good luck.

33 Posts

April 7th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for your quick reply.

My apologies for not specifying the version, we are using Networker version 8.1 Build. 162

I had originally created a "cloned" client configuration (a.k.a "resource") and changed the attributes/parameters to specify a new save set, to use the new Group (Ho Offsite) and to use the new Media Pool (Offiste) I had created earlier. I also configured the new Group (Ho Offiste) I had created to use the new Schedule (Offsite). After manually starting and then stopping a backup against the new group, none of my origianl client configurations (a.k.a. "resources") were browsable for recovery afterwards.

When I was troubleshooting I noticed that the index folders (example: C:\Program Files\Legato\NSR\Index\%ClientNames%) for all the clients on the local server were emptied out. I assumed that it was the way I setup the new "cloned" clients since I was having the same issue with all the other clients configurations that I had cloned (not able to browse the media index information)

So the issue I had should have nothing to do with the way I setup the cloned client configurations, since I configured them just like you described in your reply.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm the proper way to clone client configurations (a.k.a. resources).

Hope I got some of the terminology correct this time.

2.4K Posts

April 7th, 2015 08:00

It is important that one uses the right backup method with the appropriate save set.

This is usually done with the right combination for 'save set' & 'backup command', sometimes along with "application information".

The save set alias name '*FULL*' refers to a VCB backup scenario. The appropriate backup command is 'nsrvsb_save'.

The save set 'D:\' however indicates a normal file backup, using the backup command 'save' (automatically applied when the 'backup command' field is empty).

You never mentioned the 'backup command' so far.

Unfortunately, my VCB experience is almost zero so I do not know what will happen to the indexes if you do something wrong with the setup. However, an empty folder must not necessarily mean that your index is gone - it could be that it simply resides in a different directory. You can check ...

- the index size by running "nsrls "

- the index directory by looking at the client's 'index path'.

However, the index Information should never be deleted unless they have expired and got cleaned up.

As this obviously happened to other clients as well, I have my doubts that you are looking into the right directory. Maybe someone installed NW in the default location (of course C:\) but soon decided that this is wrong (which is normal). If he then removed NW and re-installed it using another path, NW will leave empty databases behind.

To verify that, look at your service properties and check the directory of one of the NW daemons (i.e. nsrexecd.exe).

You can also define an 'ordinary file system client', run a manual backup from that client like

save -s -b C:\temp

and verify where the index data has been written to.

33 Posts

April 8th, 2015 11:00

Sorry for the delay in my reply and thanks for the information.

The backup command being used for the *FULL* save sets is: 'nsrvadp_save'

The normal file backup save set has nothing in the backup command, therefor it is using the default 'save'

33 Posts

April 10th, 2015 07:00

I now have all the proper client ressources configured. Thanks for all your help with this.

Mike

No Events found!