Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2012 19:00

How to restore from NMM Exchange Backup missing Savesets?

Hi All,

We have NMM 2.2.1 backup on Exchange 2007 CCR cluster on passive node.

Usually NMM will backup DB in 1 saveset and LOGS in another saveset for the virtual node.

On a particular date that we wish to restore, I find there's only the DB saveset that's available.

I have done scanning on all relevant tapes and that's still the same case.

Content of tape:

volume          client            date           size        level    name

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/01/11    89 GB    full       APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04     <- virtual node

EXH00210     nodhkg701  07/01/11    4  B        full       APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04     <- physical node

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/02/11    6176 KB full      C:\ProgramData\EMC\NetWorker\LG_VSS_CLIENT1195646493.xml

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/02/11    62 KB     full      VSS:/

The scan result shows the LOGS backup is missing.

I looked up the saveset on virtual node and it returns 0 object for my backup

nsrinfo -t 1309521839 mbxhkg601

scanning client `mbxhkg601' for savetime 1309521839(Fri Jul  1 20:03:59 2011) from the backup namespace

0 objects found

I've been suggested to look up the coverID of the saveset with mminfo -q ssid= -S, but I don't know how to go further.

May I know if anyone knows a way to restore the DB backup?

or how can I rebuilt the LOGS backup from coverID?

Regards,

Ben

1.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 22:00

Hi Ben,

I don't know if you added the full output of mminfo, but I think we are missing the metadata, it should like like this:

EXH00210 nodhkg701  07/01/11 4  B    full   APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04 <- physical node

Basically you will need to have 5 savesets plus the indexes:

- DB backup saveset

- Log backup saveset

- metadata saveset

- coverset

- .xml files (Writers files)

Are the DB backups browsable? If so these are the steps to perform a restore into an RDB in DAG environments:

The first step is to open NMM GUI with elevated rights (Open as administrator).

Then you need to ensure that the client name that you see on the top right area of NMM GUI is the DAG client name with FQDN. To change it (by default will appear the name of the physical node) you need to click in options, configure options. Then on the right of the client name you will see the "Refresh" button (2 green arrows). Click there and from the left pane select the DAG name with FADN, and click on "Add". Once displayed on the right pane then click OK. Back to the configure options window, click on the drop down menu and select the DAG name instead of the physical name. Then click OK.

Now you should see the DAG client name, and the DB's backed up. Then please read the "copy and paste" from NMM Application Guide documentation (you definitely should take a look, it's a step-by-step which includes screenshots):

To perform recovery of a DAG database:

1. Open the NMM client GUI.
  2. Select the NetWorker Server on which the NMM client software was configured for backup.
  3. Select the DAG client name on the top right area of NMM GUI
  4. In the Exchange 2010 Recover Session toolbar, click the Advanced Recover Option.

The Advanced Recover dialog box appears. This dialog box lists the three steps for recovery:

• Select Recovery

• Select DB & Server

• Summary

Note: Click Recover Options to skip the steps for Advanced Recovery and perform full recovery of the database listed in Database (Source).

1.- In Select Recovery Type, under Recovery Type, select one of the following:

• Recovery Database (RDB) Recovery

Recovery to Recovery Database (RDB)

To perform recoveries to RDB for Exchange 2010:

2.- In the Advanced Recovery window, select Recovery Database (RDB) Recovery and click Next.

The Manage RDB window appears.

3.- You can create a new RDB or select a RDB from the Recovery Database (RDB) List.

To create a new RDB, click Create.

The Create_DB window appears.

In the Create_DB window:

1. In the RDB Name field, type a name for the new RDB.
  2. In the EBD File Path field, browse and select the file path location for the new RDB.
  3. In the Log File Path field, browse and select the location for the log file.

Note: Backup fails if the logs path and Mailbox database path are in the same path.

Ensure that the logs path and Mailbox database path are not in the same path, even if the logs and database reside on mount point or normal path.

1. Click Create.

The new RDB is created and appears in the Recovery Database (RDB) List.

• Mount a RDB — Select a RDB from the Recovery Database (RDB) List and click Mount. Only one RDB can be mounted at a time.

Ensure that the RDB is mounted on the current node of the NMM client for successful recovery. If the database being recovered is not mounted on the current node or if replication is on, then the recovery will fail.

Ensure that the RDB is mounted before proceeding to the next step.

4.- Select the created RDB and click Next.

Exchange Server recovery options and the NetWorker recovery options and allows you to review the details before proceeding with recovery.

Note: Click Back to make changes to the recovery options that were previously selected by you.

5.- To proceed with recovery, click Start Recovery.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

Carlos.

6 Posts

March 14th, 2012 20:00

Hi Ahmed,

Yes the LOGS backup should be included during backup, I don't specify only DB or only LOGS backup.

The saveset I used was APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04 in the group.

What I mean is, a successful backup should look like this:

EXH00269       mbxhkg601   03/10/12 4878 MB   full  APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

^this is with the LOGS backup saveset, virtual node

EXH00269       mbxhkg601   03/10/12 127 GB    full  APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

^this is the DB backup saveset, virtual node

EXH00269       nodhkg701   03/10/12   4  B    full  APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

^Physical node

From the date I want to restore, even after scanning the tapes, I see the mmdb is missing the LOGS backup part.

May I know how I can do a saveset recovery for APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04?

My aim is also to restore the DB without the LOGS saveset, if possible.

Regards,

Ben

544 Posts

March 14th, 2012 20:00

Hi bech,

As far as i know that logs are included in the backup as you specify the saveset APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04 , So logs of SG04 will be included in that backup , you will recover the database and the logs.

I didnt catch what do you mean by you are backing up the logs seperately , what was the saveset you used for backing up the logs ?

Did you tried to recover the save set APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04 ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

1.7K Posts

April 1st, 2012 01:00

Hi Ben,

Please note that regardless of the saveset you specify, this depends on the backup level.

A full backup should backup DB and logs, and incremental should backup only DB.

Unless you have set full always, you will need to bring back to browsable state all the savesets, including coverset and metadata, from the last full backup, previous to the ate you want to restore.

You should restore the full backup, including the DB and then apply the incremental/logs up to the date you are willing to restore to.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 03:00

Correction,

Incremental backups should be saving only Exchange logs and NOT the DB, mi mistake.

Thank you.

Carlos.

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 18:00

Hi Carlos,

It is the full backup I'm trying to restore.

I tried scanning the tapes and it only yields the saveset of the DB.

the savesets are all browsable

volume        type   client           date     time         size ssid      fl   lvl name

EXH00210       LTO Ultrium-4 mbxhkg601  07/01/11 20:03:59   89 GB 1426962359 cb full APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

EXH00210       LTO Ultrium-4 mbxhkg601  07/02/11 03:46:46 6176 KB 2131633194 cr full C:\ProgramData\EMC\NetWorker\LG_VSS_CLIENT1195646493.xml

EXH00210       LTO Ultrium-4 mbxhkg601  07/02/11 03:47:02   62 KB 2114855993 cbK full VSS:/

Would you know how I can restore just the DB out?

Regards,

Ben

1.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 22:00

Sorry Ben,

This is about Exchange 2007...These are the steps to restore Exchange 2007 DB in CCR environments:

To specify recovery options for Exchange data:

1. Open the NMM client GUI.

2. Select the NetWorker Server on which the NMM client software was configured for backup.

3. If the NMM client is part of a cluster, select the virtual client to which you are recovering data. The virtual client can be selected from the client list attribute in the application toolbar.

4. From the left pane, select Exchange Recover Session, and then select one of the following:

Database Recover (default) to view Exchange database backups.

RSG Mailbox Recover to browse and recover items from existing RSG databases.

5. In the Exchange Server Session toolbar, click Recover Options.

6. Select the type of recovery to perform:

• To recover data for Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 and retain all existing Exchange transactions that occurred after the time of backup, select Include existing logs (Roll forward recovery).

• To recover data for Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 up to the time of backup only and to not include subsequent transactions, select Include logs only from this restore (Point-in-time recovery).

Note: A point-in-time recovery must be done at the Exchange Storage Group level and not at a single database level.

After performing a point-in-time recovery, roll-forward recovery cannot be performed because the point-in-time recovery replaces the logs that were generated after the backup.

7. Click OK to close the Exchange Recover Options dialog box.

8. From the navigation tree, expand the Applications folder and the appropriate Exchange writer folder:

Microsoft Exchange Writer for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Microsoft Exchange 2007 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

9. Select the Exchange storage groups and databases that are to be recovered.

10. From the Exchange Recover toolbar, click Start Restore

Thank you.

Carlos

6 Posts

June 10th, 2012 20:00

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the help.

Knowing that we need all 5 savesets and the index to complete a restore, I have concluded I cannot restore the backups that I need.

Regards,

Ben

6 Posts

June 10th, 2012 22:00

Thanks very much Carlos.  Appreciated alot your help.

Ben

1.7K Posts

Hi Ben,

Having these 4 savesets plus the indexes should allow you to perform the restore:

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/01/11    89 GB    full       APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

EXH00210     nodhkg701  07/01/11    4  B        full       APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2007\SG04

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/02/11    6176 KB full      C:\ProgramData\EMC\NetWorker\LG_VSS_CLIENT1195646493.xml

EXH00210     mbxhkg601  07/02/11    62 KB     full      VSS:/

It should be restored (DB and Logs) into an RDB, and from then, and using Exchange tools, you should be able to restore only logs or only DB or both, but yeah, these are the savesets required for a restore.

If you want you can try again, set some debug option from NMM GUI and if it fails please attach the nmm.raw so I can take a look. I don't like to give up

Thank you.

Carlos.

6 Posts

Hi Carlos,

We haven't given up completely.

We recovered the daemon log of the networker server back at the time of the saveset backup to realize some tapes were already overwritten.

Fortunately we had some success in recovering the 4 savesets you mentioned, the log, the db, the xml and the VSS saveset.  So we were able to recover some storage groups; and accepted the hard truth of those that's been overwritten.

Regards,

Ben

1.7K Posts

June 10th, 2012 23:00

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback.

I know NMM some times is complicated to handle, but once everything is clear and well understood it should work fine

Let me know if you need any further assistance with the restores.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!