Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2015 20:00

Huge Win FileSystem backup

Is there a way to optimize networker backing up a huge windows partition ( millions of files )  . Networker would spend a approx 1 hr scanning files /comparing files to be backed up during each incremental backup . Is there any way to avoid the FS scanning portion and enable FS change tracking ( seen this feature in IBM TSM ) ?

Other than Block based backup is there any other option , since BB backup can be done only to AFTD,DD ?

156 Posts

November 29th, 2015 22:00

Apart from BBB, i can say create multiple client instance and distribute the save sets across the client instances. i don't think we do not have any other option to skip file scanning. BBB is capable of doing that  but you said you dont have AFTD or DD device as a target.

Thanks..

Deb

Please Like my Post if you liked it, Please Mark it as Helpful if it helped you, and mark it as Correct Answer if it resolved your query

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

November 30th, 2015 03:00

GibinG 

If you are using a NTFS partitioned file system you could try and enable "NetWorker Uses change journal" and "Enable Change Journal for selected Volumes" in the "Networker Change journal Manager" on the respective system.

Do let us know if there was any improvement in performance.

24 Posts

November 30th, 2015 07:00

I do not see networker support for windows change journal in admin guides 8.2 SP1  onwards , i think this was there in 8.0 .

Also , it cannot work if you are using VSS on the FS . We are using VSS for hourly file recovery as well.

No Events found!