Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2011 02:00

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Backup

Hi All,

We want to configure all Virtual Machines running on a Hyper-V as standard clients. But we do not want these VM clients consume Standard Client Licenses. We have Virtual Client Licenses available for use. As I understand, 1 Virtual Client License is needed here for 1 Hyper-V (physical) machine which will allow any number of Virtual Machines backup (file system) without consuming a Standard Client License. Please advise if it is possible. If yes, then is there a particular way to configure the VM Clients on NetWorker?

NW version: 7.6.1

Thanks.

14.3K Posts

August 9th, 2011 04:00

Yes, that's correct for all approaches to backup of clients/machines utilizing one of virtual technologies.

If virtual client is created in NW, enable box stating this is virtual client and in physical host field type the name of physical on which its reside.  Make sure to use exact same string for physical box on other virtual clients hosted by the same physical one.

57 Posts

August 10th, 2011 04:00

Hi Hrvoje,

Thanks for your prompt reply and you were right. I tested the backup and it was successful. I just want to know one more thing: Is there a way to push NW client software from physical to Virtual Machines? It is difficult to install on client on each VM one by one. I just want to get rid of this pain.

Thanks again.

Rgds.

14.3K Posts

August 11th, 2011 03:00

If the box (VM or physical, doesn't matter) doesn't have NW installed, then no.  First time you must go there and install it.  There are some deployment tools out there which may help you achieving this (usually that's what Windows team likes to do anyway) along with silent install option.  If it is already installed, then this can be done from NW.

57 Posts

August 11th, 2011 06:00

Thanks a lot Hrvoje.

No Events found!