Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2016 20:00

Images Expire on Tape

Hello Experts,

Is there any way in networker we can restore the data on the tape which has data expired and lying outside library?

Thanks & Regards,

2.4K Posts

October 5th, 2016 03:00

Sure - you can restore anything as long as you have not overwitten/relabeled the media.

If the info is still in the media index, you could rebuild the file index (scanner -i -S ssid ...) and you once again have a browsable save set. If you do not want that, restore the save set to a temp directory and get your files from there.

If the save set and/or the media as been deleted from the media index, you need to rebuild that information with scanner -m ... ' or 'scanner -i' first. Please see the Command Line Reference for all details.

37 Posts

October 6th, 2016 00:00

Thanks Bingo could you please provide the whole command syntax for the same?

2.4K Posts

October 6th, 2016 02:00

I could ... if I would know your environment. However, from a helping aspect, this is not a good idea.

But using 'scanner' is not really so difficult - here is the brief command syntax for a Windows server:

D:\>scanner -?

usage: scanner [ ] -B device

or  scanner [ ] -B -S ssid [-im] device

or  scanner [ ] -i [-S ssid] [-c client] [-N name] [-y retention time] device

or  scanner [ ] -m [-S ssid] [-y retention time] device

or  scanner [ ] [-S ssid] [-c client] [-N name] device

: [-b pool] [-npqvk] [-f file] [-r record] [-s server] [-t type] [-V volname] [-Z datazone-id]

: -x command [arg ...]

free_detached_multibubfs(0x00000000027FF800) called

D:\>

In general, line 2 applies. For the full description, please see the CLR which you can find here:  http://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu57692.pdf

25 Posts

October 7th, 2016 00:00

I'm skeptical about restoring the data when the volume is lying outside the library.

It would be great if you let me know with an ideal example if you don't mind!

Thanks,

Karthik N

2.4K Posts

October 7th, 2016 00:00

With scanner, NW does not care about a library it addresses a device.

So ...

1. Use the GUI/nsrjb command to load the media into the (jukebox/standalone) drive -

do not try to mount it as this would be impossible if this is a tape which NW does not know any longer

2. Scan the media, for example :

scanner -m \\.\Tape0                      will scan the whole tape (and rebuild the media index info)

scanner -i \\.\Tape0                        will scan the whole tape (and rebuilds the media index info + CFI data)

scanner -i -S 12345 \\.\Tape0        will scan the specific save set (and rebuild the CFI metadata for that save set)

scanner -m -S 12345 \\.\Tape0      will scan the specific save set (and rebuild the media index info)

!!! This command is possible but useless as you already provide the SSID

You can find more examples at the end of the scanner command description in the Command Line Reference or in the Server Disaster Recovery Guide.

No Events found!