Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

17 Posts

September 1st, 2021 07:00

Incremental backup behavior

I'm testing incr backup and i'm wondering if it's really working.

Having a full backup then doing incr. But I see that the system is always telling me that something has been backup up even tho there isn't any kind of modification in the test folder. Looks more like and cumulative incremental, then just and incremental.

Nature1_1-1630506938400.png

Any ideas why?

2.4K Posts

September 1st, 2021 08:00

If you really want to see, what has been backed up, may I suggest that you run the nsrinfo command as follows: nsrinfo -vv -t nsavetime clientname | more

17 Posts

September 1st, 2021 08:00

Here is the output of 2 subsequent inc job.. looks like it is backing up the same data ...

Nature1_0-1630510757330.png

Nature1_2-1630511060599.png

2.4K Posts

September 1st, 2021 09:00

So what? - we cannot say whether this is right or wrong. We can just investigate the result. For example these could be hidden files.

I just wanted to show you a way how to investigate what has been backed up. And do not forget that an empty save set will at least create some bytes (to maintain the absolute pathname). On the other hand, IMHO this is o.k. as there will be an (empty) entry in the save set list which shows you that NW really executed the backup.

17 Posts

September 1st, 2021 11:00

Yes, just like you mentionned, the save sets should show very little size, almost empty.

But even after a full backup the incr is always the same size as the full. If I add a file is just increment...

Nature1_3-1630519350428.png

17 Posts

September 1st, 2021 13:00

Deleted the client and recreated it... Now the incr are working as supposed to!
I'll see if this still will work in few hours!

2.4K Posts

September 1st, 2021 14:00

You can even see the exact size of a save set if you specify the length of the sumsize attribute - for example: mminfo .... -r "....,sumsize(10),....)

If you now add all "NSR size ..." values which are reported in the lines starting with "WIN ASDF"you should achieve almost the same size as reported by the sumsize attribute.

So if you want, you can really investigate what exactly has been backed up and with which size.

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 05:00

Thanks for the hint really appréciated!

Well after calculating the numbers, backup where actually full not incremental despite the fact that incr was specified. Looks like the last full could not be retrived, been testing with another client and having the same issue.

Tried new client, new group, new policy, specifying -c [ client_nam] but same behavior no luck.

2.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2021 05:00

Well - I don't know yet.

If there is no full backup (yet), then NW will tell you and will actually run a full.

Let's say that you only backup one single file with 10MB in size which will always change in the interim - one bit/byte is enough. Consequently, the first backup will show as a full, and each later backup as incremental. If the change is minor you will always see that you have the same save set size but the contents is not the same.

So you should look very precisely at your files and their access times (as reported by nsrinfo).

BTW - which NW version do you use at all?

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 07:00

We are on version 

19.3.0.2.Build.89

17 Posts

September 3rd, 2021 05:00

Just found out why the incr began to work after server was deleted and recreated.

The behavior of the incremental stops working once there is a directive applied to the client. I've been able to replicate that with 2 different clients. Investigation still on...

No Events found!