Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

May 3rd, 2017 10:00

Index not showing in recovery

I am running Networker 8.2.4.5 on a RedHat server. It seems that after updating to 8.2.4.5 the index files no longer show up when trying to do a recovery/restore. It will show the root level in the left hand panel but nothing in the right hand panel. If I click on the "+" next to the directory name in the left panel, that disappears too.

Also, I am having a similar issue in the client setup window. In the save set panel I click on the Browse button and first get an "I/O Error" dialog box. Once I dismiss that, the directory select window appears but I cannot traverse into lower directories.

Should I revert back to an older version of Networker or is there a fix for this?

2.4K Posts

May 5th, 2017 07:00

First of all, you should check the index size:    nsrls

It will tell you whther you still have index data.

Next I suggest that you update the NW client software.

Try to use the command line just to see whether it could be 'only' a GUI related issue.

But just installing an older version for that purose does not make sense as this might harm the media index (which is the more important db).

14.3K Posts

May 5th, 2017 09:00

Do you use default location for indices (or installation as whole if this is Windows)?  Did you do update or uninstall/install thingy?

17 Posts

May 8th, 2017 10:00

1. Yes, it does have a size. I also ran nsrck –L6 to check for problems…

2. The critical client is an NDMP client which has no updates…

3. I will try the command line as a test…

17 Posts

May 8th, 2017 10:00

1. Yes, I use the default location for everything!

2. I did the update – maybe I should try the uninstall/install instead…

2.4K Posts

May 8th, 2017 12:00

Unfortunately I have not been in touch with NDMP for years. So I cannot really help in this case.

However, before you install the old version, let me suggest that you engage EMC support.

263 Posts

May 9th, 2017 06:00

For the client setup issue, this could be a problem with the GUI in some way.  Have you checked the compatibility guide and made sure that you are using the minimum supported java version?  You can check if the problem is version related by:

- selecting a NetWorker client that still has the previous version.

- installing NMC software for that version on that client, then starting up the NetWorker and NMC software on that client

- open a browser, and connect to that NMC server, and configure it to connect to your current NetWorker server

- try to see if you have any of the issues that you described.

For the index issue, you need to determine if:

- the problem affects all clients, or just one

- if the problem is:

- there is no index information

- the GUI is not displaying the information

To verify if there is a lack of index information, you can:

- check the index size and number of records using:

nsrls (client name)

- use the recover command to see if you can browse the index information.  For the recover command to work, you need to run the command on the same o/s as the client you want to browse.

recover -s (server) -c (client)

- dump the index information.  The following will display what is in the client file index for that client, in reverse chronological order:

nsrinfo -n all (client name) | more

No Events found!