Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2009 01:00

Installing Networker server under Solaris zone

I know this is not supported but since company standard is that all applications without question should be installed in a zone I am under pressure to justify why we shouldn't do this. Our Networker server does not control any backup devices except AFTD devices to back up its indexes so only acts as a central point for scheduling and tracking backups - is this likely to give issues if installed in a zone?

244 Posts

July 28th, 2009 08:00

In my opinion this solution should not generate issues. It will be just a "server" which holds the configuration and manages backups. Especially that you will not attach any FC/SCSI devices. Of course it is not supported :)

1.1K Posts

The answer from EMC support is that the main issue relates to local zones not providing proper SCSI isolation which leads to issues with device access and SCSI resets. Obviously this is something we should not be affected by if we choose not to have jukeboxes or devices connected to the Networker server. However they did add that such a configuration would invalidate our support even for issues not directly related to the installation within a local zone so there is a good argument not to go down this route.
They did say that it may be supported in a future version for local zones with dedicated HBAs; however this is not planned for 7.5 so it is something we are unlikely to see in the near future.

244 Posts

I belive that NW server in local zone will work fine when the iSCSI devices will be used (still not supported). In such situation local zone can gain proper SCSI commands isolation and omit the global zone handling of HBAs or SCSI controllers.

1.1K Posts

July 28th, 2009 09:00

That's an interesting thought because I can envisage that working, but as you say still unsupported!
No Events found!