Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 18th, 2006 02:00

Label Template

I want to create a label template which can pick up the system date. Ex. - I want that on 20/11/2006 when I label a tape, it gets the name backup_201106 automtically.

Please suggest if this is possible.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 18th, 2006 07:00

I believe you can't do it via label template. However, if there is a need to know when tape has been labeled you can easily see that via mminfo and keep using whatever label.

2K Posts

November 18th, 2006 08:00

Actually my customer wants to use a fresh tape everyday and therefore prefer a label that indicates the date.

Running mminfo would be helpful but the user may not prefer doing this daily.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 18th, 2006 09:00

Label template is fixed on rules define and there you can't insert date or date command as external command where its output would be part of label.

Manually initiated labeling should not be a problem (cmd or GUI).

nsrjb wrapper script where instead of given label from template it would be replaced by date output might be alternative, but I have never tried it so you will need to play with that idea.

I think the whole approach that customer has is wrong (every day a different tape approach) and now on top this... I would rather invest some time in talking about different approach than scripting this (if possible in the first place).

2K Posts

November 18th, 2006 21:00

Yes, I understand. This is second site we are doing for them.

In the previous site, we are marking the tape Read-Only every day and then manually recycle the older tape after 35 days(desired retention period). The overall backup is hardly 10-15 GB since they backup only System data and Registries from these 6 Windows 2003 servers but to justify this kind of policy and retention period, they purchase a 60 slot tape library.

128 Posts

November 20th, 2006 04:00

Hi,
I think you can do it by using barcodes-printed date.
Thanks
Saleesh

2K Posts

November 20th, 2006 08:00

Seems to be a good idea but quite a lengthy and expensive one.
No Events found!