Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2010 02:00

Legato backup to SAN and MSA Snapshotting

Hi,

In the near future, I will make (partially) Legato backups to a SAN disk (HP MSA).  An incremental backup to disk will run every working day while a full backup to tape will run every other weekend.

On that MSA storage device, snapshotting can be enabled (master and snap volume). But it is not clear to me if snapshotting has a lot of sense on data that changes 1 time a day namely during the night when the backup is scheduled.

My question: Does it make sense to do snapshotting on the LUN holding a Legato backup to disk ? Or is  snapshotting something that only make sense on a LUN containing info changing during the day...

Rgds,

Johan

58 Posts

July 30th, 2010 04:00

Hi,

as long as your disk storage system is built in a way to assure integrity of data (some sort of RAID) I don't really see any benefits of snapshotting the NetWorker's disk devices.

Snapshotting as technology is best suited for elimination of logical errors, accidental deletions and for general integrity of stored data. Since NetWorker stores data in rather robust way to storage, I must admit that I have never seen NetWorker making logical errors writing to storage, neither have i seen NetWorker accidentally deleting its own stored data. Administrative errors can happen - but they shouldn't justify snapshotting of disk storage. And, like I said, data integrity should be handled by RAID or similar.

In short, I cannot think of the damage that can be done to first copy of data stored where snapshot might be a perfect solution for a problem. I'd expect perhaps general disk problems, or problems with MSA box itself - but its nothing where snapshot might come in handy. If insisting on it it is clear - snapshots need to be taken first thing in the morning after nightly backups - but what good would it do... that's another story.

Anyone else with opinion on this?

4 Posts

July 30th, 2010 07:00

Since the disk is only going to contain incremental level backups, snapshotting this seems useless to me; it serves no usefull purpose: my full resides on tape; this will not protect, as previously mentioned, against accidental deletes from any of the networker databases.

Regards,

René

No Events found!