Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MZ

July 26th, 2013 03:00

MSSQL cluster backup

I would like to backup MSSQL claster using NMM. What is better way: using VSS or VDI? If I want to use VDI, do I need to install something else except NMM and Networker client on servers? What is the best practice for it? I have Networker 8.0.2 running on SLES 11.

July 28th, 2013 16:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time. 

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Networker Support Forum" which would be the most relevant for this question.

1.7K Posts

July 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi Milorad,

Actually all comes down to you RTO and RPO.

VSS should be a faster way to backup, depending on the DB configuration, but the bad side of it is the limitation in truncating SQL.

VSS backups will use SQL writer, which means that the backup will always be full and logs won't be truncated.

VDI allows you different backup strategies and configurations, and of course the logs truncation.

I personally would go for VDI.

Thank you,

Carlos

September 3rd, 2013 02:00

Can You please tell me roadmap to set MSSQL cluster backup using NMM 2.4.1? I have to install both NMM an Networker client on each physical node. After it, I have to set each physical node as a client resource. Can I use wizard? Do I choose backup type for physical clients Filesystem or SQL server?

1.7K Posts

September 9th, 2013 01:00

Hi Milorad,

This is described in the documentation, however here you have some answers:

Yes, you have to install NW client and NMM 2.4.x on top of it in all the nodes of your SQL cluster.

You can use wizard to create the client entry, and you should create it for the virtual client (name of the instance, not the cluster itself), and then also create a "dummy client" for the physical nodes

Thank you,

Carlos

No Events found!