Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 10th, 2007 07:00

Merge Indexes

At one of the sites, Server A was being backed up. Customer made some changes to the DNS and claims that after this a client with the name A.domain.com got created. He continued backing up A.domain.co and delete the client resource for A.

We have the indexes folders for both of them. mminfo provides us client IDs also for both of them. Now if we need to recover older data under client A, we cannot do it since we deleted the client resource for Client A. We can recreate the Client A with its original ID but in that case two of our licenses get consumed.

Please suggest some way to resolve this scenario.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 10th, 2007 08:00

I think you can't merge two into one. I would suggest to recreate client under some name X and use directed recovery until that data is not expired. If customer had prepared alias list before renaming client that would not happen.

2K Posts

May 10th, 2007 09:00

I think you can't merge two into one. I would
suggest to recreate client under some name X and use
directed recovery until that data is not expired. If
customer had prepared alias list before renaming
client that would not happen.

I have create one with the name dummy as he has allready used aliases.

When you say directed recovery, you mean for all data that was backed up. Actually one client has around 1 years data and the other one has only the last 3 months.

Is there a directed recovery of indexes possible?

128 Posts

May 10th, 2007 10:00

I think you can do directed recover of dummy client to recover A
Also will it take license once the client is defined?

76 Posts

May 10th, 2007 10:00

What version of networker your customer have ?
If they use 7.1.X you can scan the new tapes I do this before and works fine.

2K Posts

May 10th, 2007 11:00

We are using 732 Build 364.

May be if there is no other way, I would retain the earlier client and scan through the last three months tapes.

I wonder if I run scanner -i -c client \\.\tape0, will the jukebox be intelligent enough to automatically scan all the required tapes?

2K Posts

Well it would be a weekly full & daily incremental for three months and then the problem is with three clients so there is no other option I can think of.

May be if you have any other suggestion. The best resolution that I can think of is to bring both clients into one & I could spot out scanning only.

76 Posts

I don´t know if will work on 7.3.2, I try to do this on 7.2 and scanner "see" the client-id was different and create another client name with a ~ char in the end.
I suggest you try do this first on lab with version 7.3.2.

2K Posts

Could you please elaborate this for me?

Thanks in advance.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

It will follow ssid, but that won't cover whole 3 months I guess. It really depends how much data is there - if huge amount I would rather skip scanning. If not that scanning tapes is good option, but clientid used to be written along with ssid information so you better check if that is possible under 7.3.x.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 10th, 2007 12:00

I just checked and found one document by LGTO which states this is possible with scanner, but it is a bit awkward method and as it seems you must go for FQDN instead on short, but document was created prior to 7.3.x era so you will need to run a small test on your own.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 10th, 2007 12:00

What is the retention of those clients?

2K Posts

May 10th, 2007 19:00

Retention is for a year.

Could you send me some link to the document?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 11th, 2007 02:00

I'll check this evening which document that was and will post info (can't do that now as I left my "digital brain" in hotel room).

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 13th, 2007 16:00

Sorry for delay - check if you can access TIN 14 from 2004 via Powerlink - inside you will find steps. If not have your EMC contact email to you.
No Events found!