Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2015 08:00

NDMP-DSA - Clarification and help with datadomain.

Hi all

i'm in the process of planing/integrate a NMDP-DSA backup with Networker 8.1.2.1 and DataDomain. i got a few question. i've been reading the documentation and i think i got lost a bit.

I've been working with Networker only for a year (Was a TSM admin for 15 years)

This is my setup.

Site 1

1 Networker serveur ( VM) with 100% of the backup with client direct access.Vmbackup with EBR and Traditional Agent backup.

They are Clone to a second DD device on a seperate site.

1 DD890 with Multiple DDboost device

1 Isilon NAS

The Vm wont be able to handle the NMDP-DSA Network traffic. (EMC recommend to add a physical storage node)

Servername = NMDPBKP1

question number 1

Do i need to create another DDdevice and link it to the storage node NMDPBKP01 or I can use an already configure DDdevice.

I think i have to create one or 2 devince. I will depend on the data retention.

Question number 2.

This is were I start getting confuse.

In the Networker admin guide page 665 - Configuring the NDMP-DSA devices.

It talk about AFTD device and configure and NDMP-DSA Autochanger library.

Since I using a DDBoostDevice and DFA,  I dont think I need to do this if i understand correctly the page 653.

Question number 3.

Do I setup the clone like my other clone jobs or there is specific thing to do with NMDA-DSA backup.

2.4K Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

question number 1

Do i need to create another DDdevice and link it to the storage node NMDPBKP01 or I can use an already configure DDdevice.

I think i have to create one or 2 devince. I will depend on the data retention.

>>> A DSA save set is a 'NDMP backup stream 'wrapped' in NW's Open Tape Format'. Treated as such it looks like any other NW save set. So in general, there is no necessity to use a different device/volume ... all usual NW rules apply. <<<

Question number 2.

This is were I start getting confuse.

In the Networker admin guide page 665 - Configuring the NDMP-DSA devices.

It talk about AFTD device and configure and NDMP-DSA Autochanger library.

Since I using a DDBoostDevice and DFA,  I dont think I need to do this if i understand correctly the page 653.

>>> You cannot use DFA as such would need the support by the NW client. However, you cannot install any software on an NDMP filer. DDBoost should be possible via a storage node.

Here is the copy of an answer I wrote in another thread:

NDPM is a special data transfer protcol which works separately between NDMP disk and NDMP tape server process.

If NDMP is used NW does not even control the data transport any more - it just takes care about the metadata.

From the original concept, tape drives had to be locally attached to the filer. Today you can sent the data to a remote NDMP tape server which EMC also delivers. However, NDMP has a lot of other restrictions where most of them are due to the specific NDMP format. For example you will not be able to scan NDMP save sets. That' why one should not mix NDMP and 'standard' NW save sets on the same tape ... although this is possible.

To avoid these restrictions, some years ago NW introduced the data service agent (DSA). It is installed automatically and can be switched on by a specific backup command option. It works like a 'wrapper' which 'converts' NDMP data to NW data. At this stage it is treated like any other data stream - it can be multiplexed and even be sent to any compatible NW backup device - (DD) disks or tapes. This is very convenient. So for instance, It can be sent via a storage node to an AFTD on a DD and/or to a DDBoost device.

However, the 'Client Direct' (DFA) feature will directly transfer data from the NW client to the DDBoost device. On a filer this is not possible as there simply is no NW client software installed which can assist here. The appropriate API is missing.

So to write NDMP backups to a DDBoost device ...

- You must use DSA

- The traffic has to be processed via a storage node

- You cannot use Client Direct

<<<

Question number 3.

Do I setup the clone like my other clone jobs or there is specific thing to do with NMDA-DSA backup.

>>>  As mentioned above, this works like cloning any other 'standard' NW save set. <<<

7 Posts

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the clarification.

So the step that i have to do will be

1- Install physical server

2- Install NW in StorageNode option

3- Define device in the data Domain since i'm pretty sure that you can't share DDboost device between 2 StorageNodes.( Correct me if i'm wrong)

4- Configure the storage node in Networker

5- Configure the clone job

6- Configure the isilon for the NMDP-DSA backup.

7- Start backup

8- Go grab a beer and wait for the backup to finish

No Events found!