Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2011 12:00

NDMP and Fibre Channel

I am running a Networker 7.6 Server on a Server with multiple 4 Gig Fibre cards to a Sun SL500 Tape Library with four LTO drives with 4 Gig FC connectors.

I have a Oracle/Sun 7000 Appliance with four 1 Gbps Ethernet ports and two 4 Gig Fibre ports.   Currently I am running my NDMP backup via IP/Ethernet that I would like to migrate to the Fibre as the amount of data has grown recently and speed is now an issue.    I however cannot figure out how to do this and after reading the Networker Server Support for NDMP chapter in the Manual I was left scratching my head.

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

PS The Second of what I am sure will be anumber of questions over the next week.

445 Posts

December 7th, 2011 02:00

TheGoldyGopher,

To direct your NDMP backups directly over fibre without traversing the network you would have to connect the drives directly to the Filer via the SAN. You would then configure the jukebox accordingly with the filer as a storage node with NDMP devices. The backup would be controlled by the NetWorker server which would receive the index data and compile this once the backup is complete. It is important that you keep the index data (which is non-ndmp) and the NDMP data on separate volumes, especially if you are intending to clone.

Unless the drives are directly SAN attached to the filer there is no way to avoid sending the data over the network to a storage node within the NetWorker environment.

Regards,

Bill Mason

December 8th, 2011 07:00

To make sure I understand correctly.

I have SAN device, Oracle 7000 Unified Storage, that is connected to our SAN via 4 Gb fibre.  In addition to being connected to our network via four 1000 Gb Ethernet.

My Networker Server is attached to the network via two trunked 1000 Gb Ethernet and attached to the SAN via two 4 Gb Fibre.

My SL500 is controlled via Fibre and is attached to the SAN (I think this is 2 Gb Fibre)

All of my LTO drives are attached to SAN via 4 Gb Fibre.

From the description that Bill presented this is all meets the requirements to move the Data from Ethernet to Fibre.

In my current environment using NDMP over Ethernet all of the Index Data is stored on the Networker Server as the Oracle 7000 is for all practical purposes a headless device when it comes to backup.  So there would not be a change in how the indexes are handled.

Do to old habits the Networker Server is in its own backup group with its own tape pool.

My understanding of what comes next is a little fuzzy.

Using JBCONFIG I create a new NDMP Jukebox?   Even though it is allready created as a SCSI Jukebox?When I tried this JBCONFIG complained that "There appear to be no SCSI jukeboxes connected to this system."

Am I missing something?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 9th, 2011 07:00

Zone drives to 7000 box and you can send streams directly to them over FC.

No Events found!