Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2021 13:00

NDMP backup failed

Hello,

Our networker server has 3 NICs, one is normally the primary and two others that we use for Live migrations that aren't routed ( because it is also an hyper-v):

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (AT_BRA_Switch):

. . . .
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.18.3(Preferred)
. . . . . . 

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (AT_BRA_LM1):

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.222.8(Preferred)
 . . . . .

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (AT_LM2):

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.222.9(Preferred)
. . . 

NDMP backup fails and I see this line 

nsrndmp_save: DAS is listening for an NDMP data connection on 192.168.222.9 port 8787.

I specifed "nsrndmp_save -M -P 10.32.18.3 -T dump" but still fails. it only worked when we disabled those two NICs and let only the primary NIC. But it shouldn't stay that way.

Is there a way to configure Networker to use that NIC for NDMP backup ?

June 7th, 2021 02:00

you can use the cli also to have better look into the output. If I understand correclty you are using the NW server as storage node to make the backup. We use a dedicated NW storage node (NW SN) for that to prevent having additional load on the NW server. However that also complicated things, as the NW server needs to be able to talk to both the NAS system, the NW SN, and as it will spawn an instance of nsrdsa_save locally on the NW SN, it has to be able to talk to both the NW server and the NAS it needs to backup. We were having issues as the NW server would be having issues communicating correctly with the NW SN that had multiple nics. It had one nic that the NW server could talk to, while another NIC was used for the NW SN to talk to the NAS. That didn't seem to work as the backup process is running on one nic and it needs to be able to talk from NW SN to both the NAS and the NW server on that nic. So in the end we had to get rid of one of those two nics (which simplified the setup anyways), so that only one nic would be used for backup traffic and communication form the NW SN to both the NW server and the NAS.

But that doesn't seem to apply here, but as the process is using the wrong IP address, that might be due to how naming resolution is set up and it seems to determine that the 192.168.222.9 is the actual ip address of the NW server? You can check that by for example running nsrwatch, at the top right it will mention behind "Address:" what it's IP address is.

As said with CLI you might be easier able to find out things. Also you might need to use the -J option also, besides -P . Below is picked from KB article 157621 "Networker : ndmp - how to setup Networker ndmp-DSA type backups to move data though a remote storage node":

# nsrndmp_save -D9 -M -T dump -s -P -J -c -l full -b "pool_name" "saveset/name/here" > ndmpsave.out 2>&1

If it would have been a linux system, but based on your network output it seems to be a Windows based backup server, might wanna use nohup or screen or whatever if the backup might be running very long, to detach from the login session...

The KB article describes how to use some NSR_DSA options that need to be put into the "Application Information" field of the NAS client. In your case that might be not required as you aren't using a remote NW SN.

NSR_DSA_NODE=x.x.x.x

NSR_DSA_REC=x.x.x.x

NSR_DSA_SAVE=x.x.x.x

Also in the NAS client properties under "server network interface" you would want to put the interface for the NW server, in this case 10.32.18.3

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2021 04:00

I have never done that but a look in the NW 19.4 Command Line Reference (manpage) might help.

–P proxy-host
nsrndmp_save spawns nsrdsa_save on Proxy-host. Proxy-host must be a valid
NetWorker client and should be listed in the remote access list of the clientname
resource. This host will act as a proxy to NDMP Data Server to receive
the data and save it to NetWorker storage device. This option is valid only
with -M.

Did this ever worked before? - What is the exact error message?

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

May 26th, 2021 04:00

@hend_bs, you could use the IP configured on the NIC that you want to use with the -s switch for the command. You might want to take a look routing from backup server to your NDMP server and from the NDMP server to the backup server to make sure that it is set right, which I think might be the issue in your case.
since NetWorker uses hostnames it would worth while to take a look at the name resolutions at both the ends as well.

58 Posts

May 26th, 2021 06:00

I had a lot of different issues with my NDMP backup implementation and Dell support couldn't figure it out.

It started working when I selected "Disable IPV6" option in the NDMP client record. Maybe that will help you.

34 Posts

June 12th, 2021 09:00

Thanks so much for sharing these information! very valuable! however I didn't have the chance to apply this KB but it seems to be a potential solution for my issue. But a colleague changed the interface metrics to give the priority to the desired NIC and it solved the problem.

No Events found!